Author Topic: Alfred Wells  (Read 5908 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Wells
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 15:42 GMT (UK) »
There is also this one for George Wells Register of Soldiers Effects
George Wells 12th Batt R Scots Pte 14797
Sis Annie ,Sis Jessie Sis Eliza
Sis Annie J Peat
Death date 28 September 1915
Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Rainy you can also try www.cwgc org/find war dead where you can download certificate
Rosie  :)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Had some credits on SP and found the death of Annie Wells. I think the following shows that George Wells and Annie McKenzie did marry in Gateshead.

Annie Wells died 16 Nov 1904 in the Infirmary Edinburgh of pneumonia. Usual address 31 Watson Crescent. Parents William McKenzie printer (deceased) and Janet Gouldie prev Mackenzie ms Nisbet. Informant George Wells, widower, 31 Watson crescent.

1861 Census Reikies Court 65 Nicolson Street Edinburgh
William Mckenzie 33 b Edinburgh printer, Jessie McKenzie 30 b Musselburgh, Ann McKenzie 4, Jessie Mckenzie 3 Robert McKenzie 2 mo

Births  Anne McKenzie 23 July 1856, Jessie 12 Feb 1858, Robert Nisbet McKenzie 9 Jun 1860 Parents William McKenzie and Jessie Nisbet Edinburgh Parish.

1871 England Census 121 Clavering Place Newcastle upon Tyne
Janet McKenzie 40 widow domestic servant, Ann McKenzie 14, Jessie 13, Robert N 10 (and 2 lodgers)

1873 marriage Newcastle Thomas Gowdy and Jessie McKenzie jul - sep.

1881 census 12 Cooper Street, Gateshead
Janet Gowdy 50 mar bookbinder's wife, Jessie McKenzie 23 Bookfolder and sewer, Robert McKenzie 20 son bookbinder

1890 death Robert Nesbitt McKenzie Oct- dec 1890 Gateshead

1891 census 70 Frank Terrace Gateshead
Jessie McKenzie 32 foreman booksewer, Janet Gowdy mar 60 housekeeper (2 boarders)

1901 census 71 Frank Street Gateshead
Jessie McKenzie 43 Bookfolder and binder, Janet Gowdy mar 70 housekeeper (1 boarder)

Again cannot quote 1911 census but think it proves the connection and so well worth finding.

Probate calendar 1923
Janet Gowdy of 41 Sunderland Road Gateshead widow died 14 Feb 1923. Probate Durham 5 March to Jessie McKenzie spinster and John Allan baker. Effects £106 - 1s.

Now going to try to work out what happened to Thomas Gowdy( who has been noticeable by his absence!) but first a cup of tea.http://cdn.rootschat.com/forum/Smileys/christmas/smiley.gif :)
William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline rainy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Saying Thank you seems not enough, but I am amazed at what you have found for the WELLS/DUNCAN family.

Will print all that off and work from that later.
May not be today as visitor for dinner and the evening.

There is so much you have found.

Yes did wonder if on ancestry.
Been wondering whether to  get it again as does have info other sites do not have.

I am sure that cup of tea was well deserved and refreshing.

Thank you William and Rosie for today info.

I did find Catherine Duncan's baptism. She is Catherine Turcan Duncan born 1891.
So her middle name will be from Catherine Turcan who marries George Duncan in 12 May 1845 Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland.

I need a bit of refining before I use Scotlands People again, as last time wasted some of my credits.
But it was my mistakes that used up the credits.

The names of the sisters tie in with the names on the census I found for that family.

My own family history has McKenzie in Scotland but not in Midlothian.

Thank you Rosie I had forgotten to use www.cwgc

As yet have not done a good search on www.paperspast either to see if I can get any info.

I now think have the answer for one of Kitty photo's with these boys George and Albert Wells.
There is Granny Meek. Now I knew the MEEK family in my town were Scottish. Have found a DONALDSON is the connection.  So the Granny would have been related to these little boys.

Does make one realize what life changes those boys had.

I need to ask Kitty why John Wells her father isn't in photos.
Perhaps she just doesn't have any???
All in time will come together brilliantly.

I really am amazed. Thank you all.
rainy
Dickson-Tyrone,Ireland.New Zealand.
Rea/Rae/Ray-
Roan/Roane/Rhone-Inveresk,Musselburgh,Scotland.Sligo Ireland
Reynolds/Rennells-Leitrim,Ireland
Callaghan- Co Cork,Ireland,South Australia, New Zealand
Soentgen/Sontgen-Germany. New Zealand.
Maddison-Durham & NSW & Victoria Australia. New Zealand.
Walker-Durham England
Ridley-Durham & Northumberland England, NSW Australia
O'Farrell-Scariff,Ireland
O'Sullivan-Co Kerry,Ireland
Fudge-Kent,South Australia
Colbert-South Australia
Mason - Durham England

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi rainy,

This may be of interest to you......

British Newspaper Archive 1 month subscription for just £1 when you follow this link and enter the discount code: HAPPYNY2016
http://bit.ly/1ShQSm0
You need to Register "Free" First

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Alfred Wells was born 28/1/1886 Edinburgh, son of George Wells, Mason and Annie Mckenzie (as already confirmed).   

George and Annie married 3/6/1881 Gateshead - he son of a George and she dau. of a William (again, he has already been confirmed).

George died 12/10/1907 aged 62 in the Poorhouse, Craiglockhall, usual residence 31 Watson Crescent, Edinburgh - widower of Ann McKenzie.   He died of Hemiplegia (as spelt on certificate) and the informant was James H. Smith, Ast. Governor).   His parents are given as George Wells, Cooper (deceased) and Jane, nee Hall (deceased).    His parents married 9/8/1836 Lochmaben, Dumfriesshire and he himself was bc.1845 Lochmaben.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 10:06 GMT (UK) »
The location of the poorhouse was in Craiglockhart - it is now the site of some quite upmarket housing. I grew up in the Craiglockhart area of Edinburgh and can remember just how forbidding the old workhouse buildings were. George may  have been there as a medical patient and not as a pauper.

Thomas Gowdy is proving somewhat elusive. The only possible sightings I have are (and this is based on Janet Gowdy recording herself as a bookbinder's wife) :
1871 Census York 5 Kings Square as  a boarder unmarried age 23 bookbinder born Belfast transcribed as Thos Goudy

1891Census York 21 Margaret Street as a boarder married age 40 bookbinder born Belfast transcribed as Thomas Gowdy (the marks on the page does make the marriage condition hard to be sure)

1901 census Salford 52 showing as widower age 52 bookbinder born Ireland.

Marriage of William McKenzie and Janet Nisbet Edinburgh Parish 27 Jun 1852. Her father named as Robert Nisbet.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline rainy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your research, bringing many new bits of information for this family.

Now that is interesting re newspaper sub. I guess it has to be tomorrow before the New year to get it at that price.  And of course to remember to untick renewal. Thank you for that advice.

I think Poorhouses and any of those sort of Institutions would make us all feel very scared.
Yet at that time guess there was no alternative for the people who needed help.
We sure are very fortunate today, how we are treated.

Haven't had time today to work on this research, but hopefully tomorrow will get some done.

You are really brilliant and I am so blessed to have you all working on these families.

Telling my visitors about it today etc, makes me wonder how amazed Kitty is going to be very soon when I post a folder of it all to her.

Thank you all very much.
rainy.
Dickson-Tyrone,Ireland.New Zealand.
Rea/Rae/Ray-
Roan/Roane/Rhone-Inveresk,Musselburgh,Scotland.Sligo Ireland
Reynolds/Rennells-Leitrim,Ireland
Callaghan- Co Cork,Ireland,South Australia, New Zealand
Soentgen/Sontgen-Germany. New Zealand.
Maddison-Durham & NSW & Victoria Australia. New Zealand.
Walker-Durham England
Ridley-Durham & Northumberland England, NSW Australia
O'Farrell-Scariff,Ireland
O'Sullivan-Co Kerry,Ireland
Fudge-Kent,South Australia
Colbert-South Australia
Mason - Durham England

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes did wonder if on ancestry.
Been wondering whether to  get it again as does have info other sites do not have.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.