Author Topic: Census query  (Read 1911 times)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Census query
« on: Tuesday 29 December 15 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is the right place, if not please move :)

I need to try and trace the parents of a child who appears on the 1911 census to exclude/include her as an ancestor with the same name..

Head of house      George Frederick Higgins      Head      44  married           lodging house keeper
                             Sarah Ada Higgins                  Wife       44
                             Leonard George Rumsey       Nephew   6               
                             Evelyn Mabel Rumsey            Niece       1

there are others on the census but I am interested in Evelyn Mabel as they give her birth place as Ireland and Leonard George as India.  I need to try and find parents of Evelyn Mabel to either include/exclude her as an ancestor.  I assume that Leonard will be her brother..
The address is given as 12 Victoria Grove Folkestone, Kent
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census query
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 08:41 GMT (UK) »
From Irish Civil Records (IrishGenealogy.ie):

Birth: 13th June 1909, Dublin
Evelyn Rumsey, Mother's Maiden Name: Higgins
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you :)

I think I can exclude her, but she may be related somewhere but not direct line. My Evelyn was born Sept 1910

This Evelyn Mabel would have been 1 year and 10 months mine would only have been around 7 months, but wasn't sure how they showed less than one year old on the census. :)
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 08:52 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast has British Nationals Armed Forces Births, and has entries for:

Rumsey, Leonard G
Rumsey, Leonard G R
Rumsey, Leonard G R
Rumsey, Leonard George R

All 1904, Calcutta (except last which is 1905!)

I suspect that they all refer to the same person?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Evelyn Mabel Rumsey died 1946. Administration of estate granted to George Robinson Rumsey retired major, H M Army.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 10:04 GMT (UK) »
I think I can definitely exclude her mine died 1986 in South Africa

So I can assume that the two Rumsey's on the 1911 would be siblings and their father the George Robinson retired Major.

The co-incidences of these two is almost too strange as my Evelyn Mabel's father was also in India in 1904 - 1906 with HM Army that is what got me thinking but I think I can now safely exclude her..... ;) :)

Many thanks all

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 January 16 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
first of all, the census query, under the age of 1, the age is usually 2/12 or 8/12.
The Ireland record is correct, there wasn't an Evelyn Rumsey with or without a middle name born between 1908 and 1915 in the UK. So it is the Ireland one. Possibly you have the date she arrived in England or her Baptism date, you would need to get the official birth record as this is the only record of a Rumsey born to a Higgins other than the boy you will find later further down this page.

I searched for George Higgins the uncle to his previous census records to find his sister as I didn't know her name or Evelyn's fathers name. That's how I got Lucy.

There are 2 George Albert Rumsey one born in 1870 (another name William) and the other 1879 (other name Robinson) which is yours. They may be related going back some years, check the census and you will see them.

Leonard George Rumsey, he died 26th December 1925 and left £75.00 to George Rumsey a Grocer.
At that time he lived at 20 Clovelly Road, Portsmouth.

You may have heard of Spike Milligan b 1918 in India, I don't know the cut off date but, the British  changed the policy on birth rights for Forces Births. If you were born to a serving person in another country overseas you were registered as British, when they changed the policy you had to register in the country of the Fathers Birth, so Spike became Irish, though he didn't mind.
So with Evelyn being born after Leonard, the father may have been posted to Ireland from India and registered her there. As I say I don't know the cut off date, but with her being born there she was still British.

So, where to next......the Army Papers, They are not listed in the site I got the info from so you would have to contact Kew in London to get a copy and this would tell you all the story.
Anyway, please read below and I hope this has helped.
Maggsie

Marriage Of Lucy Mary Higgins and George Albert Rumsey
in the Year 1903    Jul-Aug-Sep qtr
district of   Elham in Kent
Volume   2a Page   2257

George Albert Rumsey

I must add...... Pembrokeshire is in Wales.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Census query Completed with thanks
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 January 16 05:12 GMT (UK) »

Thanks very much for that.  I am sure I can definitely exclude her as mine :) :)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 January 16 13:01 GMT (UK) »
I realise that you have excluded this person from your tree but FTR

George Albert Robinson RUMSEY
married on July 08 1903
Lucy Mary HIGGINS

They are the parents of Leonard George (1904); William Albert (1906) and Evelyn Mabel (1909)

1911 census details removed

There is a death in Wiltshire of a Lucy M RUMSEY in Q1 1911 in Wiltshire aged 31
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder