Author Topic: Della Weir bc1898 Dublin. Who is she?  (Read 742 times)

Offline jacqui63m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Della Weir bc1898 Dublin. Who is she?
« on: Tuesday 29 December 15 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me find out anything about a DELLA WEIR who appears in the 1901 Ireland census: aged 3 (bc1898 Dublin) and recorded as a niece to the head of house

The head, William Ormsby Weir is my 2xgt grandfather. Looking at William's brothers:
Richard: died 1873 - so he's not the father
Robert: died 1890 - so he's not the father
Arthur: born 1842 died 1932, a bachelor but would have been abt 56 at birth of Della
Launcelot: born 1838 (it is believed he died in infancy) but would have been abt 60 at birth of Della

If any of them had a relationship with Della it is more likely they were the grandfathers not father.

But with two brothers deceased before her birth, that leaves only two to consider, Arthur and Launcelot. But Arthur died a bachelor (nothing in the family history suggest a child to Arthur) and it is believed Launcelot died in infancy.

So unless I am missing some vital information, Della is not actually related to this particular Weir branch. I can't find any information on her birth. I'm not even sure of the name, Della. Is this her actual name, an abbreviated name or pet name?

By 1911 she would have been about 13 but where is she? I can't find her anywhere.
There is an Adeline Weir recorded as a visitor; aged 14; 36 Nelson St. And inlaws of William (who were living with him in 1901 - Ruxton) are living in 10 Nelson St in 1911. If this is Della, I still no absolutely nothing about her

Can anyone help me find this Della and how she fits into the family? If at all

Jacqui
McAnee/McAneigh, McLaughlin, Carton/McCartney, McSorley, Ruxton, Weir/deVere, Flood, Lennon, Phibbs, Ormsby

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jacqui63m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Della Weir bc1898 Dublin. Who is she?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi aghadowey,
Thank you but this is where I first came across her name.
I haven't been able to establish any family link to her at all, even her parentage
Jacqui
McAnee/McAneigh, McLaughlin, Carton/McCartney, McSorley, Ruxton, Weir/deVere, Flood, Lennon, Phibbs, Ormsby

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 13:45 GMT (UK) »
For Della, don't rule out Delia/Bedelia, ie. Bridget. And don't take as gospel that she was a "niece".  :)

Offline jacqui63m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you gaffy.
I must admit I never thought of Bridget. As for 'niece' - I have ruled her out as a niece, gt neice and granddaughter so what does that leave? Is she no connection at all and, for whatever reason, the surname Weir was given? Or is she actually a Weir? and what is the connection?

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 15:07 GMT (UK) »
1939 to 1964 register of electors
I searched for Delia Weir and one came up for Y W C A   31/32 Mountpleasant Square,Rathmines 1944/45
http://databases.dublincity.ie/electoral/search.php
upon viewing the image it appears to be Della Weir

http://ireland.anglican.org/about/178

what do you think.

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 15:11 GMT (UK) »
She could be the grandmother's niece. People were often a bit casual about these things!
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline jacqui63m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 16:03 GMT (UK) »
eadaoin
Now that's an interesting thought! I'll look into that

Offline jacqui63m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 16:07 GMT (UK) »
dathai
The Della in YWCA looks very promising. Unless Della was a popular name (abbrev) it could well be her but sadly it isn't getting me any closer to who she is.

Sorry, the Anglican link - is there something in here that I'm missing or just the relevance to YWCA