Author Topic: Anyone going to Brockley cemetery, willing to check a headstone for me please?  (Read 3918 times)

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
If anyone is going to Brockley cemetery and could check the back of a headstone in the hope that the grave number is there, I would be most grateful.

Looking at the cemetery map the headstone is in the circular part of the cemetery, near to Brockley lodge. It is in A-con next to section P-con and I believe the headstone is near to the path and facing section K.

The first name on the headstone is Elric Hill died 1892 together with Ann Caroline (1902), Elric John (1915) and Annie Emilie (1931).

As already said, I am only interested in a grave number which hopefully is etched on the back.

Many thanks

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone going to Brockley cemetery, willing to check a headstone for me please?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 19:35 GMT (UK) »
I can possibly do it over the next few days.
Don't expect too much, the cemetery is not in the best state.
If you have a grave location map (as opposed to a general map of the cemetery, any chance of emailing it to me in advance please?)

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone going to Brockley cemetery, willing to check a headstone for me please?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 December 15 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for getting back to me. Sorry I only have the general cemetery map which somebody kindly sent me.
Do you have access to Ancestry? If so, if you search for Elric Hill died 1892 and go to the tree owner Pillow George 08 you will find under the death section a picture of the map with Hill marked. There is also a photo of the headstone which is quite distinctive.
Regards

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 December 15 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I should have said that I am in contact with the Tree owner on Ancestry.

He doesn't know the grave/plot number either as I believe he was given the photo.

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 December 15 15:32 GMT (UK) »
I went up to Brockley earlier today. Luckily, my Ancestry sub doesn't run out until tonight, so I was able to see the map and photo.

Although the headstone isn't marked and there is no kerb either, I have no doubts that it is Grave A.713 (Consecrated). I managed to trace the row from A.708 to A.717 and the number of graves tally. A.708. 710, 712 and 717 are all marked.

Since returning, I see that you have another thread running. I take it that this is not your family grave and that there is some confusion over the numbering. I probably won't be returning to Brockley in the near future, ( I'm working on Greenwich Cemetery at the moment), but if you could give me the details of your family grave, including the location, I may be able to help you without walking the ground.

By the way, the numbers on the NWKFHS transcripts are irrelevant. They were given by the original author for his own use. It is rarely that more than three or four graves in a row have consecutive numbers, although I have used them in the past to locate graves.

Phil

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 January 16 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Barbara,

It's been a long time since I tried to attach a photo on RC, but here's hoping.
Do you recognise these two headstones?

Phil

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 January 16 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I don't know how I missed the Howard grave yesterday!
I was searching for a while today, until I decided to go back to the Hill grave and start from there - I couldn't believe it when it was right in front of me.

It looks like the whole of that side of the path has identically numbered graves in both rows. There are probably a good dozen, or more. Although not perfectly, they do line up, number for number. I did take a photo almost head on, if you want it.

It is possible, I suppose, that they started off as double length graves. Maybe they didn't sell. Alternatively, the council may have decided to cram an extra row in. It is hard to tell, being in Plot A, but the front kerb on your grave has No. 713 A on it. This may be just the plot reference, or it may be to differentiate it from the Hill grave. A couple of the other graves in the front row still have traces of their numbers on the kerb, but I couldn't see an A on them.

Phil

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 January 16 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil, many thanks for that. Yes that is them. I didn't notice the kerb lettering.

From what you say this might not be an isolated case. What have I started!!!

Will have to give this more thought on whether to take it up with Lewisham. Don't think they would be thrilled to hear from me.

Barbara

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 January 16 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Phil, I've been looking at the kerbstone photo and it seems to me that there is a faint N followed by 713 with A underneath.

This is what appears on the back of the headstone.

If I am right, it must be the missing N in the records that has caused the confusion.

Barbara