Author Topic: Anyone going to Brockley cemetery, willing to check a headstone for me please?  (Read 3925 times)

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone going to Brockley cemetery, willing to check a headstone for me please?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 January 16 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Barbara,

What is missing is the lower case "o". It is easy to see where it has fallen off on the full res photo. and matches with other grave reference lettering elsewhere. If it was just an upper case "N", it would refer to Plot N, which is a long way away. As I said, looking at all the graves in those two rows along the path, the numbers duplicate. I didn't map them all out, but probably from about 700 to 715. The directions you gave me, were to a separate section of Plot A, this is not the case. The Howard grave is directly in front of the Hill grave and from these and the others adjacent, it would appear that they were originally envisaged as enlarged plots, but subsequently it was decided to make them into two graves. There is no walkway between them - the foot of one touches the head of the other. If you have access to Deceased Online, try Florence Ivy Lainson and Maggie May Larking (A.714).

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone going to Brockley cemetery, willing to check a headstone for me please?
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 January 16 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Virtually head on view, showing the four graves (A.713 and A.714), mentioned above.
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 January 16 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil. I have looked at Maggie May Larking and Florence Ivy Lainson on Deceased and apparently they both have eleven others with them!

I cannot tell from looking at Deceased what the plot numbers are without having to buy credits, so will take your word for it that the four graves in the picture are as you say. I did look at the picture of the Howard grave earlier and thought that the one behind looked like the Hills' but put it down to coincidence.

The Hill's grave would appear to be wrongly marked on Ancestry. I definitely wrote down N713a from the back of the Howard's headstone when I visited in 2014. Hopefully I haven't slipped up. Where does the o come from?

Many thanks to you for all your help on this, I really do appreciate it. I think you have well and truly answered my questions.

Regards Barbara

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 January 16 21:00 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to find out before I visit Brockley cemetery, do they allow you to take photographs of gravestones?  As on their website they say you have to get permission first.

I have seen this before when looking online for information about graveyards, and can't understand why there would be any restrictions on taking photographs of gravestones.  I have no idea what the issues are.

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 January 16 22:07 GMT (UK) »
I don't think there are any restrictions on taking photos for your own personal use.

Perhaps there are if there is a professional use involved.