Author Topic: Louisa WILKINSON birth riddle.  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Su-ann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Louisa WILKINSON birth riddle.
« on: Wednesday 30 December 15 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I would appreciate any ideas on the following,which is a long standing 'brick wall' - my great grandmother Louisa WILKINSON was born c 1880,possibly in or around Brierley Hill,Staffordshire ( as it was then) Try as I may I cannot find her birth registration. I only have one possibility for a father...when Louisa married ( not until 1934 at the age of 53 years,having borne two daughters out of wedlock to a man who died young) she gave her father's name as John WILKINSON a coal miner/hewer. I have found her on the 1911 census and also, I believe,on the 1901 but not on any earlier census. I have searched local BMDs and the GRO entries and can find no Louisa WILKINSON born around this date and this area....I have even begun to wonder if her birth was registered ( but this was a legal requirement ??) or if she was illegitimate herself and registered under her mother's surname..in which case I don't know where to proceed next...and so I cannot track this line any further back.....I would appreciate any thoughts at all. Many thanks....

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Louisa WILKINSON birth riddle.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello - what was the name of the man she had children with who died young? 

Are you sure she never married before and Wilkinson wasn't her birth name.  Any witness names on the marriage that might help?

Regards the birth registration I have a missing one from 1864 so it did happen. 

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Su-ann,

I'd like to help if I can. 

I am struggling to find your Louisa Wilkinson in the 1911 and 1901 census.  Could you please give further details so that I have a starting point?

Regards.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes I second that!

Are the children with their mother and father in 1911?
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Su-ann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 15:51 GMT (UK) »
hello,

Thank you for the replies...the father of her two children was Samuel Holden Hickman and he died in 1913 aged 32 years...they are both on the 1911 census living a couple of doors away from each other,Louisa with his parents Daniel and Mary Ann Hickman in North Street Brierley Hill where her surname has been written as WILKINGSON and the daughters are Priscilla and Elizabeth and he with his cousin Annie Underhill ( ironic as they had two children together) Both are described as single and when Louisa did eventually marry in 1934 she is described as a spinster.The two daughters took the surname Wilkinson....the younger daughter ( my grandmother,in fact) was born in the Workhouse in 1905...all told,I am sure that Louisa was single. Samuel Hickman himself was illegitimate and his birth was registered under his mother's maiden name of Holden ( which I knew from having found his parents marriage and then his birth) However,the problem with Louisa is that if she was illegitimate I don't have a mother's name. Also,I am wondering if the John Wilkinson she names as her father might possibly have been her grandfather or another male relative....I have a case of this happening. The witnesses to the 1934 marriage to George Parker were friends so no clues there....I am truly stuck for ideas.  :-\ On the 1901 Louisa WILKISON ( the spellings cause problems when searching...) is a boarder with Grace GOULD in Pensnett ( Bradley Street) and is aged 20 and a brick maker....which she was,in fact. I would like to find the connection ( if any) with Grace Gould....it might help. I have found Wilkinsons in the area but Louisa is not with them and in fact I can't find her before 1901. The 1911 census shows her place of birth as Quarry Bank and I suspect this is correct as I know that she lived in this area in later years after her marriage to George...but her origins remain a mystery. Thank you for looking for me,I appreciate any help or advice.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the extra information every little helps  :)

Does her age tally at death with a birth c1880? 

I agree the father John could be another relative or simply a made up name.  It's a tough one  :-\
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Grace seems to be Grace Meese daughter of James & Jane b 1861 Kingswinford married Robert Samuel Dawes 1884.  Widowed with 2 daughters by 1891. 
Marries Elijah Gould 1895.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Su-ann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Yes,the age at her death does tally with the year of her birth being around 1880/81 - she died in 1965 ( Sept 12th) at the ripe old age of 84 years...of senility and myocardial degeneration. The frustrating thing is that I actually knew her.....and I have so many ancestors from before my time who I have managed to 'birth',baptise,marry off and bury....but my dear great granny is evading me. From what I know of her she was a sprightly soul and a tough cookie  ( she raised her two daughters in a time when illegitimacy was a dreadful stigma) she worked in a brickyard all her life and liked a half pint of beer to wash the dust down. The only thing that frightened her was electricity..she thought it was unnatural. But thank you once again for your help...one day I will find her!  ::)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried any "wrong" birth certificates?

This one might be worth considering as 

In 1901 her birthplace is Coseley

Sep 1880 Dudley

Wilkinson Louisa

although how to prove it is or isn't her will still be a problem.  Unless father really was John a coal miner/hewer!
Pick - Frocester Glos