Author Topic: The Chamberlain Family - London  (Read 4283 times)

Offline Jamesharrislondonuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • All my research is free to see @ 'ivyonline.co.uk'
    • View Profile
The Chamberlain Family - London
« on: Wednesday 30 December 15 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm researching the Chamberlain family in London, Middlesex and would welcome any information to point me in the right direction. 

I've completed some research on the Chamberlain family and have started to put this online for anyone to look at in the spirit of free collaboration (www.ivyonline.co.uk).

It is difficult to prove the right connections particularly before 1837 and the 1841 census, although the Parish and military records have been helpful. 

I have tracked this particular branch of the Chamberlain family back to Clifton upon Dunsmore, Warwickshire from the 1841 Census material.  They appear to have migrated to London and went their separate ways for various reasons.  My grandmother (nee Chamberlain) provided a great deal of information which I'm collating and will put up on www.ivyonline.co.uk in the new year or will share with anyone if they want to know beforehand...

I am particularly interested in:

Arthur John Chamberlain
Born 4th September 1857
He was in the Queens Own 7th Hussar's between during 1879 and 1881 whilst they were based in Ireland before being involved in the Boer War
He married Elizabeth Colbert and had 2 children: Annie and Horace Colbert Chamberlain
(http://www.ivyonline.co.uk/page91.html)

Elizabeth Colbert
Wife of Arthur John Chamberlain
Unable to find much information on Elizabeth - they possibly met/married whilst he was with the Queens 7th Hussar's in Ireland.

Horace Colbert Chamberlain
Born 1881 and died 1942
He saw action in the 1st World War

Annie Chamberlain
Based in Enfield for a while and married William Pimm. 
She had a dress-making shop on Enfield high street and William Pimm made ceremonial military helmets - I was told that one style helmet (with the spike) was worn by the Kaiser in Germany.
She had 3 daughters one of whom emigrated to New Zealand or Australia.

I am very much interested in any information pertaining to the Chamberlain family genealogy and any related families - the more information the better   

Any pointers or assistance would be greatly appreciated, and I am ready to collaborate/help too

Many thanks in advance

James    :)
Trenwith, Harris, Chamberlain, Caldenhove, Hagger, Blackley, Ingram, Stringer, Laver, Orchard, Halverson (more to be added...)

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Chamberlain Family - London
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi James,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Possible death record -

Arthur J Chamberlain
Birth Date - abt 1858
Date of Death 17 May 1918
Age at Death - 60
Registration district - Nottingham
Vol 7b Page 320

The probate record for Arthur John Chamberlain records his widow as Grace Annie Chamberlain (perhaps he remarried or equally the wrong person). Arthur's occupation is recorded as Chartered Accountant, as he was an accounts clerk in 1881 it could tie in with the above death.

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 13:25 GMT (UK) »
2nd Marriage of the above Arthur John Chamberlain-

Arthur John Chamberlain
Birth Date - abt 1858
Age - 37
Father's name - John Chamberlain
Spouse's Name - Grace Annie Cleaver
Spouse's Age - 24
Spouse's Father's Name - Francis Frederick Cleaver
Marriage Date - 31 Oct 1895
Marriage Place - Nottingham, Nottinghamshire

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Looking at your online tree (Anc***ry) showing the 1891 for Elizabeth Chamberlain it would appear that she was born in Isle of Wight, Hampshire, therefore this could be her birth -

Elizabeth Colbert
q1 1858 Isle of Wight, Hampshire
Vol 2b Page 476

JJ

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 18:20 GMT (UK) »
The Elizabeth Chamberlain on the 1891 census is shown as a widow and her son Horace "J", is shown as born in Kent - probably not the correct family?

There is a tree on A..ty which has Elizabeth born 1859 in Dublin - not checked that through as yet.

There is a death for a Elizabeth Chamberlain in 1894 age 37 (dob abt 1857) in Hendon, is this near enough to Edmonton to be a possible death? 

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 19:57 GMT (UK) »
You have Horace Colbert Chamberlain born 1881, but he was in fact born 1884:

Surname    First name(s)        District    Vol    Page
Births Jun 1884   (>99%)
Chamberlain    Horace Colbert        Edmonton    3a   286

The Annie who married William Pimm was born 1881 in London, she did in fact marry Ernest William Pimm:

Surname    First name(s)                  District    Vol    Page
Marriages Dec 1904   
Chamberlain    Annie               Edmonton    3a   905    
Pimm            Ernest William        Edmonton    3a   905    

Living in Birmingham in 1911

William died 19 Nov 1918 in 28 Heathfield Road, Handsworth Birmingham and left Annie £241

Ray

Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Two of Annies daughters were:

Ethel Marguerite  born 1906, she was on the Midlands Electoral census in 1930, with sister
Cisse Elizabeth   born 1909  in 1934 Cissie was living Haringey with a Annie Elizabeth Pimm (?)

There is a death for a Cissie Elizabeth Morgan in Swansea in 1975, Cissie E Pimm married a Emil Morgan in Edmonton in 1935.

I have found a birth for a May L Pimm born with a mother Chamberlain in 1913 in West Bromwich, not sure if this Annies daughter. Whilst there were only 2 Pimm/Chamberlain marriages between 1880 & 1920 the other one was in 1901 in Kings Norton (near Birmingham)!

However I have found a May L Pimm living in 57 Windmill Hill, Enfield in 1945 living with a Annie Pimm.

I followed this up and have found the death of a Annie Pimm in 1964 aged 84 and dying in Swansea (where daughter Cissie lived/died):

Deaths Dec 1964   (>99%)
PIMM    ANNIE    84    SWANSEA    8B   645    

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 20:58 GMT (UK) »
There is something unusual about the Horace Colbert Chamberlain information.  I have not found Horace on the 1891, 1901 or 1911 census as yet.

I have found him living in Tower Hamlets in 1930 with a Jane Chamberlain.  I can only find one marriage for a Horace Chamberlain to a Jane (Hagger) in 1915,  but on the marriage certificate the father Arthur is shown as a Valet.  Jane Hagger is also noted on the Horace Colbert Chamberlain WW1 papers.

Offline Jamesharrislondonuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • All my research is free to see @ 'ivyonline.co.uk'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 December 15 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray & JJ,

Thanks for the welcome and i'm so grateful for your input - massive thank you!

I'll need to correct a few typo's on my website regarding the Chamberlain family tree and update more of the information I have gathered in the past. 

Ray thanks for the heads-up with the Horace Colbert Chamberlain birth date.  I'm learning how to build websites as I go along and sometimes I miss the obvious errors :)

I thought it best to put down what Information I have in my notes from the past to accompany the very helpful details you provided regarding the Chamberlain family – It looks like the Chamberlain family history is becoming a little less of a mystery - so here goes.

My start point is an oral history provided by grandmother Ruth Harris (nee Chamberlain), daughter of Horace Colbert Chamberlain.
Trenwith, Harris, Chamberlain, Caldenhove, Hagger, Blackley, Ingram, Stringer, Laver, Orchard, Halverson (more to be added...)