Author Topic: Non Conformist registers.  (Read 2302 times)

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Non Conformist registers.
« on: Wednesday 30 December 15 14:02 GMT (UK) »
I have my first non conformist baptism, and all it gave was name and date of 1st Feb 1762.  No parents named.

BUT, the photocopy of the 'original', seems not to be so.  There are a list of names that appear to be all written/copied at the same time, by the same hand.  Not sure when, but it was at a time of quills and ink, I would guess.

Has anyone else had dealings with non conformist baptism records, and information given in them.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Non Conformist registers.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 14:04 GMT (UK) »
If I recall , it may be that the ''whole church'' became witnesses. ie the child would be baptized in the church then everyone present would be on the certificate/record

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Oh, sorry.  The list of names are all baptisms dating from, 1st Jan 1762 to 8th Aug 1763.

I should have made it clearer. :-[

I did wonder if these baptisms were all born to single mothers. :-\
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Would you like to post some names and others may have a look for you?
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Would you like to post some names and others may have a look for you?

I have the name, her marriage/children/census/death/burial/Will.   I am just wondering why no parents named in non conformist list for her.

Susanna Willis, baptised. 1st Feb. 1762. Crendon Lane, High Wycombe, Bucks.

Died 1845 Great Missenden, Bucks.

Married Thomas Ives, 12 March, 1792 @ St Peter & St Paul. Great Missenden, Bucks.  Witnesses - Thomas Willis & Rebecca Willis.

Buried 6 Dec 1845, aged 83.

5 children from 1793 to 1805.

Steve. :)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

I've just 'flicked' through the pages on The Genealogist.  This book starts at 1762 and the entries are exactly as you describe until 1787.  After that, the parents are named as you would expect.

I'm sure you already know that this is the Independent Meeting House in Crendon Lane.  Some of mine were baptised in the same denomination in another town with parents named, so this is a puzzle.

Sorry not to be more helpful,
Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carol.  I will try and see how her marriage witnesses fit in, if at all, Thomas & Rebecca Willis. ;)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 December 15 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've only had a limited experience with Non Conformists but a couple of people who had no parents noted turned out to be adult baptisms, doesn't help you much but I thought I'd mention it.

Regards.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 December 15 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Could be a "batch" baptism too. I have seen this both with non-conformists and parish baptisms. Possibly the Meeting House was only set up around that time, and the families joining had all of their children baptised. Were there any other Willis baptisms in this period?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.