Author Topic: I don't think Ernest William Robinson went to war, why not?  (Read 2031 times)

Offline mistic*angel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I don't think Ernest William Robinson went to war, why not?
« on: Wednesday 30 December 15 16:27 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for Ernest William Robinson, of Liscombe House ( or Park) Soulbury, Leighton Buzzard. I don't think he went to war, however we have aerial reconnaissance photos dated Nov 1917? He was born about 1875 and died 1924 ish. He was owner of Peter Robinsonsport department store London. Maybe he was too old or excempt. How do I find out more?

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: I don't think he went to war, why not?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat,

Apart from these aerial photo's do you have any other memorabilia such as photographs of that time or medals? Or even Birth Certificates of any of his children that were born around that time?

David

Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi mistic,

Given he was born in 1875, I would say he did not go to war as he was too old.  Conscription came into force in England in January 1916 for males aged 18-41 therefore by 1916 he was already 41 years old.  Some people were exempt depending on their jobs. However, there were other ways that people helped in the war effort.  You have mentioned that he was the owner of a Department Store in London so presumably he may have been able to assist somehow given his position.

How would you find out more?  I wouldn't be surprised if there was information about Peter Robinson Department store in either a private company Archives or a London archive.

With regard to the aerial photo - I am unclear where this fits in. Perhaps this was just an image he acquired.

CD

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 18:11 GMT (UK) »
According to the Bucks Herald 3 September 1915, he was entertaining the Local Defence Force to lunch at Liscombe House after training in the vicinity. So he was obviously doing his bit in other ways.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline mistic*angel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.
I don't have any other memorabilia other than a series of aerial photos of a submarine followed by a ship shedding its load and then sinking! They are dated November 1917. It just seemed a bit random to have just the photos.
Oh there are also what look like some tourist photos of the trenches and soldiers marching by.
Thank you for the information

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 23:12 GMT (UK) »
A few gleanings.... He appears to have died March 1st 1921 and was Chairman of Peter Robinson's at the time. Death registered at Leighton Buzzard Vol 3b p408 gives a birth year of 1878.  In May 1915 he appeared at Leighton Buzzard County Court as plaintiff against the army claiming £460 for horses that had been commandeered from him.  After his death the extensive (>1500 acres) Liscome Park Estate was advertised for sale by his executors.  Regards his war service, it seems he may have been a french national which I believe could exempt him from UK conscription.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 December 15 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Don't think he was a French national.  The 1911 form has British in the nationality column and the word "resident" added by "France" in the place of birth.  Could well be him in 1891 living with an Arnold family in Hampstead, uncle/aunt, birth place Boulogne (British subject).  More likely the age situation already mentioned.

maxD

The Arnolds appear to be Frederick Hudson Arnold and Frances nee Robinson married London 1869, her father Peter Robinson.
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline mistic*angel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: I don't think Ernest William Robinson went to war, why not?
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 January 16 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information. EWRobinson was born in France to English parents, however his great grandparents were French and came to live in England - found this out after finding EWR's mothers sister Georgiana Eagle (mystic stage performer) Her father was Barnardo Eagle magician who seems to travel the world entertaining. The family myth was that Kate Alice Eagle met Mr Robinson at the fair! I'm not sure because she was employed in the sewing trade (she probably worked for him) as in true Victorian style they lived together as man and wife because he was already married!
I have always wondered if Kate Alice was from a Heugonaut family. Her grand parents lived in Shorditch I think he was a publican. The women worked with cloth. And still had french connections.
Anyway I digress from the original task!! As is the way with family history.
Happy New Year to you all

Offline vivienneroberts

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: I don't think Ernest William Robinson went to war, why not?
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hello

I read with interest your post about the Eagle family and wondered if you know more. I am researching George Barnard Eagle and his daughter Georgiana Elizabeth Eagle who were both Victorian conjurers. I am particularly interested in finding photographs of the Eagle family including Ernest William's mother, Kate Alice Eagle. I appreciate any guidance or information.

Regards

Vivienne