Author Topic: Bell / Gibbons / Cowen Family from Ayrshire  (Read 711 times)

Offline scott78saunders

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bell / Gibbons / Cowen Family from Ayrshire
« on: Thursday 31 December 15 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have been researching my family tree for some time and am now moving over to explore the Scottish side and am really looking for the best place to start.

I do know very little about my family other than my great grandfather was called Andrew Bell, he lived at 17 Harbour Road in Troon and he died in 1950 on the Golf Course whilst playing again 2 doctors for the first time...

From looking at Scotland People I have discovered his marriage to Susan Gibbons, details of some children where included my grandmother Susan who strangely enough went the first name "Jean" in later life, her sisters Jeanie, Isabella and Helena and parents on Andrews side who were Joseph Bell and Rosanna Blane.

Having these names on a piece of paper is great however I am looking for a way of really connecting to the past and would ideally like to see any potential photos, details or any other descendants of the family.  this is what I suppose all amateur genealogists wish for no doubt.

The Bell family appear to have been all but lost after my grandmother Susan moved to England after the death of her father.  She was the last of the Bells that I know of living in Scotland other than Isabella.  I really don't know anything about her and she was the latest Bell child to be discovered purely by fluke.

So... over to any potential experts who can point me in the right direction or help me with some much needed "background" digging.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Bell / Gibbons / Cowen Family from Ayrshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 December 15 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scott

Wondering whether this is an old post of yours? www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=717447.0 Further link on there to another connected post too.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scott78saunders

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bell / Gibbons / Cowen Family from Ayrshire
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 January 16 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monika, that was indeed an old post that I created and totally forgot about - I have been coming back to this over the years when I have what I call a "mini breakthrough".

I guess I am looking for some advice to see is there is another angle that I am missing when it comes to searching for my family history.

A fresh set of eyes etc :-)