Author Topic: Birth Query Oakham Surname Adam  (Read 6481 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Query Oakham Surname Adam
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 December 15 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Raymond appears in 1948 at a Porchester Sq London adress with an Ann G Adam.

This appears to be their marriage,I think she's been married before.

Marriages Jun 1948

Adam    Raymond H A   to Lappington    Paddington    5d   411    
Adam    Raymond H A   to Dennis    Paddington    5d   411   
Dennis    Anne G   to Adam    Paddington    5d   411   
Sappington    Anne G   to  Adam    Paddington    5d   411
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline C_W

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 January 16 16:55 GMT (UK) »
I have today received the birth certificate for Raymond Hugh Addington Adam. He was born 30 September 1914 at The Cottage, Oakham. Mother Ida Mary Nutt. Father Benjamin Addington Adam. Indeed it does have a dash where 'name if any' and his name is in the box 'name entered after registration'.
Thanks to everyone for your help.

Offline mhfow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 January 17 11:51 GMT (UK) »
You might be interested to follow up Ida Mary Nutt, Raymond's mother.

Her father was Alfred Young Nutt (5th May 1847–25th July 1924) who was an English architect and artist, and Surveyor to the Dean and Canons of St George's Chapel, Windsor. Windsor museum has a number of his watercolours, but also a lovely portrait of someone who we think is probably his second daughter Lilian, painted by her Dutch cousin by marriage, Sara Johanna (Jo) Strumphler.

See http://www.artuk.org/artdetective/discussions/discussions/who-is-this-lady-in-a-blue-dress-when-was-this-portrait-painted

A third sister, Maud Evelyn, married Henry Thomas Malaher in 1919 and had a son Richard B.M Malaher, registered in Preston. Notice that Henry was one of the executors of your Benjamin Adam's will, so the Nutt girls clearly stayed close.

The art detectives hope that Adam and Malaher descendants have preserved images of the Nutt sisters to confirm the portrait sitter's identity. If you ever come across any such thing, please get in touch with them through the web address above or with Windsor Museum. Good luck in your own research.

Offline mhfow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 January 17 12:43 GMT (UK) »
PS. A further search has found the marriage of Maud Evelyn Nutt on 3rd Aug 1919 at which "Her train was of cream satin, and was borne by her little nephew Master Raymond Adam, of Oakham, who was in sailor costume." Lilian, Mrs Lingeman (the most likely sitter in Windsor's portrait), sang a prayer.

Oh for a full wedding photograph!

Found in The Slough, Eton and Windsor Observer, August 9, 1919 at:

http://www.sopse.org.uk/asset_arena/image/original/sl/ol/sl-ol-slough_observer09081919188704-e-00-000.jpg (See "Pretty Wedding", column 6 of this page.)

Offline C_W

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 January 17 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello mhfow

Thank you for your links, which I find very interesting, and a little more knowledge to add to my collection!
I have put a post on the ArtDetectives site, but the only info I can offer is that a number of years ago I spent a very interesting day with Norman Oxley (who wrote the book AY NUTT) and the staff of Windsor Museum Store, seeing some of the drawings etc. by AY Nutt that were not on show, due to lack of museum space.
I was shown a photograph that was thought to be Mrs Nutt, her daughters, plus a man and another girl. They were sitting in a garden. I don't know if thats a link you can follow up. (Mind you you may then have three or four girls you are trying to name!!).

Regards
C_W

Offline mhfow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 January 17 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.

If you were shown the photograph of Mrs Nutt and her daughters, then the Museum may already have the means to corroborate the sitter's identity, unless the girl in question is too young in the photo.

Offline C_W

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 January 17 23:22 GMT (UK) »
I think the three daughters would all be in their twenties, and the photo taken early 1900s, so it would all fit.
Do you know if the Museum Store is still there? When I visited they were trying hard to get the museum near the Guildhall, which I know they managed because I saw a photo of the Queen's visit.

Offline mhfow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 January 17 16:48 GMT (UK) »
C_W, Windsor Museum is on the case. They have someone in their off-site store today, who has been asked to find the photograph and compare the faces with the portrait. They will get back to the Art detectives when they know something.

If they say "no match", I will ask for an image of it, and if that fails to see yours, if I may?

They are also planning to contact the Dutch RKD - the national art history institute - with a view to having a mini-exhibition of the painting and anything the Dutch can provide about Jo Strumpfler. This is fun!

Offline C_W

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 January 17 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello mhfow

I wrote to the museum this morning, and have had a reply this afternoon. They sent me copies of the photo's they have, and I have sent the copy of mine to them, which I hope will help them solve the puzzle. I feel happier it going through the museum, with copyright etc.
If I can be of any more help please let me know,

C_W