Author Topic: CIRCUS  (Read 4258 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CIRCUS
« on: Friday 01 January 16 22:01 GMT (UK) »
http://www.australia.gov.au/about-australia/australian-story/early-circus

Interesting site which I found when trying to find out about a circus owned by William Charles 'Tinker' Brown.  Tinker lived at Wagga, the circus may have been based at Parramatta and it appears to have toured the Victorian goldfields and elsewhere in the 1850s.  This is the origin of the story of the pony wearing golden horseshoes and various articles show up in Trove on this topic.  Would value any input regarding this circus and happy to share what I have already found.  Tinker was married to Sussanah Eleanour nee Seymour, sister to George Seymour (convict) of Windsor, NSW.  I have not been able to ascertain the name of the circus. 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: CIRCUS
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 January 16 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

What a great resource you have found.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/69575478 Wodonga & Towong Sentinel 16 May 1941.

March 28, 1858, about three weeks after the arrival in Beechworth, “Tinker” Brown died.  His body was brought to Wagga for burial…… Later when the new cemetery was opened ….. exhumed ….(re interred) in the Church of England portion of the Wagga cemetery ….. Mrs Brown alongside her husband.  Alongside also is the grave and tombstone of John Thomas (“Jack”) Hely.

……Young Jack (now Sergeant Hely of Croydon), a son of Mr. “Jack” Hely was sent to get the gold shoes.  They eventually found their way to the Mint and realised £96/16/- 

Re "Young Jack", the police Sergeant who fetched the shoes .... a John Thomas HELY was born in NSW in 1860 and appointed to the NSW Police 8 June 1882. 

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/professions-and-occupations/police-service/police-service-registers

What happened to the circus after Tinker's death in Victoria?

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 January 16 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 January 16 23:39 GMT (UK) »
A (NSW) 1841 marriage for Susannah SEYMOUR is indexed with the groom as John BROWN ....  Volume 25C, line 611,  So C of E, Merriwa, Muswellbrook, Paterson

Agh, seems likely Sue  :)   

ADD, article I spotted has different date for death....

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 January 16 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone.  I'll try to respond to everyone in this one message.  Tinker supposedly arrived as a convict in 1837 - but I've been unable to definitively locate him on a ship under the name John, William, Charles or Tinker.  There appears to be no application for him to marry as a convict under any of these names.  I don't think I found a certificate of freedom either.  I found two assignments of John Browns in the Sydney Gazette of 12th June, 1837 - one at Brownlee, one at Hunter's River.  Did he adopt an alias to avoid having to secure permission to marry perhaps? 

His death - recorded on a couple of sites as 29th November, 1855.  I have sent off an email to Wagga Council (with whom I have corresponded previously) asking for clarification as he is buried at Wagga.  I have a feeling there has been some unsupported guesswork - there are a lot of William Browns and John Browns out there!   There is a probate packet for a William Brown who died 28th November, 1855 - but none for any William Browns dying in 1858.  There is an entry in NSW BDM showing a William Brown aged 40 years who died at Albury 2424/1858 and that is the year indicated in the newspaper article.  There are two different death dates - each supported by some form of documentation - sorting them out will be the challenge!   A trip to SRO to view this probate packet is in order. 

Thank you for the ROYAL CIRCUS - that gives me another search term to use in Trove and elsewhere! 

Tinker had a son named Charles William Thurlow Brown but he died in 1915.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 January 16 00:53 GMT (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTCL-BH7
30 May 1841, at Houghton, NSW, John BROWN married Susannah SEYMOUR

I have found a Susannah SEYMOUR aged 24 years arrived (came free) 1833 per Layton.   

Can you eliminate the John BROWN mentioned on permission to marry for the above marriage (Rev was SMITH)  ?

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 January 16 01:03 GMT (UK) »
NSW State Records online Convict Index….
John BROWN on the John (4)  Recommended Conditional Pardon …. Reel 798, page 003 …. NO DATE mentioned at index.
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/indexes-to-convict-records/indexes-to-convict-records

Cheers,  JM

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 January 16 01:11 GMT (UK) »
 I could not locate that permission in SRO on-line index.  Thank you.  There are a lot of loose ends in this family's story.   Susannah (according to her descendants) did arrive on the Layton.  I have researched an earlier relationship she had with a man by the name of Augustus Caesar in Sydney.  Susannah and Augustus were for an indefinite time resident at Windsor where Susannah's brothers, George and Richard, also resided.  They had a daughter in Sydney, and later a son who died and was buried at Windsor.  Susannah married Tinker a long distance from Windsor and that is another question.  (Did she run away to join the circus!?)   Have to look up John Brown on the John (4). 

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 January 16 01:49 GMT (UK) »
The Victorian death index item.

BROWN William
Father Unknown
Mother -
Age 40
Birth Place NORF
Year 1855