Author Topic: Who was Robert Abel Jones's wife?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who was Robert Abel Jones's wife?
« on: Saturday 02 January 16 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Robert Abel Jones (1852-1880) was the "black sheep" of the family. In the 1871 census he is recorded as single living with is parents, Abel and Elizabeth Jones in Penmachno. His crimes and subsequent court case in Caernarfon, where he was sentenced to 2 years hard labour for house breaking, are recorded in various newspapers of the time. I have just come a short article in "Baner ac Amserau" dated 22 April 1881 reporting on his death. It appears that after his release he joined the Royal Welch Fusiliers but died on board ship when his regiment was going out to India.
Included in the article is the first mention of his wife Ellen. The only clue is that she was a servant in Wybrnant a cwm/valley near Penmachno, however, I cannot find a record of the marriage or of Ellen in the 1881 Census for Penmachno. Is Wybrnant outside the parish of Penmachno?

Glyn 
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Robert Abel Jones's wife?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 January 16 17:05 GMT (UK) »
There is a possible marriage in 1876(paired data) in Llanrwst,Robert Jones to Ellen Williams which ,if the correct combination could fit the bill.

Regards
Roger

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 January 16 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi both
Ive just checked the image on FindMyPast and it says, as follows:
November 1st 1876 in the parish church in Llanwrst
Robert Jones aged 32 (father, Abel Jones, farmer) residence at time of marriage Llanginien?(cant read easily)
Ellen Williams aged 33 (father, William Williams, labourer) residence at time of marriage Llanwrst
witnesses John Morris Jones and Rachel Ellis

Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 January 16 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Despite the father being Abel,the age is wrong.Now I've found it,I think the address is Llangerniew(i.e, the village).He could have been working well away from home,but I think it may be back to the drawing board.

Regards
Roger

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 January 16 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Roger and Mar
Mar I was just about to post this reply when your second post came in. I think we are of the same opinion.

I had not previously thought of looking in the Denbighshire Parish records. I have just taken up Findmypast's discounted membership for a month and found the image. At first I thought it was the correct one until I realised that a number of things didn't quite tally:
Robert's age would have been 24 not 32 in 1876
His father Abel was never a farmer, he worked in the slate quarries in Penmachno all his life.
I would of expected Robert to be able to sign his name, since his father could at his marriage in 1850 and wrote poetry.
I have now found 3 other llanrwst possible matches in 1871, 1872 and 1878. The last one I will discount since Robert would be in his first year of imprisonment. I will have to dig deeper.

Many thanks again.

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland