Author Topic: Did they marry?  (Read 853 times)

Offline Cnthree3

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Did they marry?
« on: Saturday 02 January 16 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me trace a marriage. Annie Elizabeth Hardwick 1890–1958 is names on my grandfathers birth certificate, along side his father, George Hoggarth (1879-1939) but George is shown as single on the 1911 census and I can not find a marriage that matches them. I wondered if they may have had to get married quickly, first child born 1912. any ideas?

many thanks Gail

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Did they marry?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 January 16 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Does the birth cert show her as Annie Elizabeth Hoggarth nee Hardwick or just as Annie Elizabeth Hardwick?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Cnthree3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 January 16 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Shown as annie Elizabeth Hogarth - formally Hardwick

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 January 16 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Doesn't look like they did - he enlisted 1/8/1916 in the army it seems but was eventually transferred to the RAF on 1/4/1918.   States that he was born 1878 (when he enlisted 1/8/1916 gives his age as 38 years and 5 months which is somewhat precise suggesting a birth around March 1878??).   Unfortunately, birthplace details have been left blank.

It does, however, list name of 'wife' as Annie Elizabeth Hoggarth and 3 children: Mary Jane born 2/11/1912, Ernest Donald 24/1/1914 and Annie Elizabeth 21/3/1915.   After name of his 'wife' is says 'unofficial' so definitely sounds like that they hadn't actually married.

Address when he enlisted was 14 Jacksons Row, Woodside, Wetton (?) Park, Co. Durham.
Address when discharged was No.2 Cleveland Street, Loftus, Cleveland.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Cnthree3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 January 16 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ever so much for that information. Can you tell me where you sourced it from. I have access to FindMyPast and Ancestry but could not see the document you refer to. it would be great to see where it says 'unofficial' so that I can put it in my book, so the rest of the family believe it!

Also - cheeky i know, but can you tell if either of them were married to someone else before hand?

Thank you again for the information I really appreciate your time and help.

regards

Gail

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 01:36 GMT (UK) »
It is FindMyPast - click on the Military section - I just entered name George Hoggarth with birthdate 1879+/-2 - a list of 14 comes up and he's at the very top.   Not all records show a birthdate so lucky in this instance.

No way of telling from this record if either married before.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.