Author Topic: Craddock family Bedfordshire  (Read 4905 times)

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Craddock family Bedfordshire
« on: Sunday 03 January 16 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Dear all,

I have also posted something in the Northamptonshire part of this wonderful page, but I'm trying my luck in Bedfordshire too now, since the family moved around the border between these two counties a lot. Unfortunately, not many records are searchable online, so if I can at least narrow down the search area I might be able to order a CD or send someone to locate my people in an archive.

I'm looking for a few people and their families in Bedfordshire, these are the ones:

1: John Crad(d)ock x Elizabeth Chapman, 10 Oct 1791 Harrold -> who were their children and when did these people die? Could this John be the same one who died in Harrold in 1818? If his wife Elizabeth died before 1810 then John could be the same one who married a second time in Moulton, Northamptonshire, in 1810, because of him I have proof that he ended up in Harrold (he had his last child there). Elizabeth Chapman could be the one born 1771 in Odell, but correct me if I'm wrong!

2: Peter Crad(d)ock who was born in Northamptonshire in 1726 and died there again in 1792 but is missing in action in the years between. Did he marry (who? where?) and have children in Bedfordshire? It seems likely that he did, because there are next-generation Crad(d)ocks, also named Peter, that suddenly turn up in Northamptonshire again. I believe (hope) they may have swerved back and forth to Bedfordshire. If anyone can tell me where, I might be able to order a CD to do further research.

3: Francis Crad(d)ock x Martha Tite, 19 Oct 1759, Wellingborough (Northants) -> Martha was from Ravensden in Bedfordshire, and I can't seem to locate Francis's birth in Northamptonshire either, so again I am inclined to think that he was born in Bedfordshire. They marry in Wellingborough and then move to Harlestone where their children were baptised, but I'm pretty sure they were from Bedfordshire. Again, if anyone can tell me where I can find their births and parents, I might be able to order a CD for further research.

All three of these people were millers, by the way, so I am secretly inclined to think that at some point there is a family link.

HEAPS and HEAPS of thanks if this pays off in any way!

Regards,
Lexi.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Craddock family Bedfordshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 January 16 14:49 GMT (UK) »

via H.A.L.S. [ Herts Archives Library Service ]

John Craddock, Miller
1695 Radwell, Other administration bond inventory H23/473
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 January 16 14:54 GMT (UK) »

John Craddock, Miller

Crikey, yet another county...

What does this info mean by the way? Did he die in 1695? Was he born? Was this the day his will was executed? Thanks for the info :-)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 January 16 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Lexi

Best if you search for Crad(d)ock, yourself (you may spot something else) . . . . .

https://www.hertsdirect.org/ufs/ufsmain?formid=HALS_INDEXES

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 January 16 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Virtually all Beds marriages and baptisms pre 1813 are on the IGI at www.familysearch.org
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 January 16 17:29 GMT (UK) »

John Craddock, Miller

Crikey, yet another county...

What does this info mean by the way? Did he die in 1695? Was he born? Was this the day his will was executed? Thanks for the info :-)

This is parish of Radwell in Herts rather than hamlet of Radwell in Felmersham parish in Beds...
... luckily it's been transcribed in FreeReg

Seems John Cradock was buried 25 Feb 1692/93 and this is an admon made as a claim by others regarding inheritance as most likely he didn't make a will

Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 January 16 16:42 GMT (UK) »
FYI....This the link to thread on Northant page regarding same family....

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=730195.0
Clement - Croydon

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 January 16 17:16 GMT (UK) »
To recap..... Martha Craddick was baptised at Harrold on 18 Nov 1818 daughter of John & Anne Craddick, labourer. Her siblings were Sarah baptised 28/6/1811, Sophia baptised 27/9/1813 and Peter baptised 26/1/1817 all at Moulton, Northants as per FreeReg; children of John & Anne Cradock. Peter was buried at Moulton on 24/10/1817 age 1, died from measles. Sophia died in Harrold & was buried there aged 9 on 8 Jun 1823. Most likely their father John Craddock was buried at Harrold on 15/12/1818 but no age is recorded.   

Martha age 20 and Sarah age 25 appear on the 1841 census in the Bedford Union Workhouse, however they have with them Ann age 1 (listed after Martha), Thomas age 8, Joseph age 4 & Anne age 1 (listed after Sarah) - suggesting to me that they are children of the two girls.

Sure enough... in Eureka publication Bedford Union Workhouse Births we have:-
Parent Sarah Craddock of Harrold, child Anne, illegitimate, born March 1840, baptised 20/3/1840
Parent Martha Craddock of Harrold, child Anne, illegitimate, born 21 March 1840, baptised 26/3/1840
There is also...
Parent Martha Craddock of Harrold, child John, illegitimate, born 2/4/1845, baptised 11/4/1845

In 1841 mother Ann Craddock is a lodger with Stephen & Ann Pettit in Harrold aged 65, not born in Beds.  She was buried in Harrold on 4 Apr 1849 age 60. This makes her born 1776-1780. 

The above supports the fact that the parents are John Craddock, widower of Moulton who married Ann Lucas, spinster of Moulton who married at Moulton on 5 May 1810. However it does not verify that this is the same John Craddock who married Elizabeth Chapman at Harrold on 10 Oct 1791. It'd be good to find a burial of first wife Elizabeth prior to the Moulton marriage in 1810. 
Clement - Croydon

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 January 16 17:36 GMT (UK) »
FYI....This the link to thread on Northant page regarding same family....

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=730195.0

Haha yes, that's my other post... I believe the family moved back and forth between Northants and Beds...