Author Topic: John Fynney (d.1828) - links to Hulme/Johnson/Bowers/Koziah  (Read 5572 times)

Offline Valerie Fennell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Fynney (d.1828) - links to Hulme/Johnson/Bowers/Koziah
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 01:06 GMT (UK) »
These Finneys are strictly Hayesgate Finneys and I have traced them back  to Richard Ball Finney who was born about 1580. My connection to this family is through Elizabeth (b. 27 oct. 1820) who married Joseph Bowers. They had a daughter Kezia who married George Gould in Ipstones. I have been helped by some wills to establish some of this family as the Alstonefield register has some unfortunate gaps. During the civil was there were no marriages at all. There were two succesive
Williams, one who married Elizabeth Dale (born Hollinsclough Bap. Hartington), and Elizabeth Ball who was born in Fernyford and named in her father's will as the wife of William Finney. The early Ferniford people are in the Alstonefield Register as many villages belonging to the Harpur-Crewe Manor are, before they had churches of their own. Anyway, What in particular do you need? This is my very first connection by the way, my skills aren't all that great, so be patient please. I just hope I can find my way back.....

Offline Fynney Johnson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 25 December 17 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Ralph Johnson husband of Ruth Fynney was not born in earl shiilton Leicestershire he was born in wetton staffordshirev - staffordshire parish registers he also had a younger brother Benjamin
John Fynney attended the Quaker church in leek he is mentioned as a silk button manufacturer - he was in business with several different people in the silk industry in leek  Amelia Haslam married to Ralph Johnson in stoke was born in Bakewell in 1855. She
Worked at Chatsworth House- her father was George bailey died 1857  Her father was not Anthony Haslam who was her mother’s second husband
Her mother Sarah burrows was born in east indies - her father was Charles burrows of 30Th foot - she married George bailey in india - hope that covers answers to some of the posts leading from John Fynney - whose sister was Ruth Fynney and Elizabeth Fynney

Offline Fynney Johnson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 25 December 17 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi I couldn’t reply directly to yr message .it is my first time on here!
I am decended from william and Elizabeth Fynney - Ruth Fynney and ralph Johnson -
John Fynney is mentioned as a silk button man in the Quaker on line history of the leek Quaker house - along with other silk button men of leek and prominent Quaker companies like rowntrees - google leek quaker Church
Ralph Johnson birth is shown in the written staffordshire parish registers on line son of William and Elizabeth born wetton 1754
Amelia Haslam (Bailey) birth record is shown as George bailey and Sarah - 1855 -Bakewell Derbyshire - George died in 1857 they were running a pub in Bakewell - she married Anthony Haslam in the same year.
Sarah was born in Secunderabad and married George in 1838 - they probably returned to Bakewell sometime after 1841=- George was born Rowsley in abt 1809

Offline Boy Scout

• RootsChat Member
  • George in Carnival mood c 1929
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 09:21 BST (UK) »
We have made some progress with this Fynney/Tomlinson association thanks in the main to Claire on here; as I see this is where we stand.
Elizabeth Oakes marries Samuel Daintry in 1770, their daughter, Catherine Daintry, is born 1776.

There is a possible death for a Samuel Daintry and burial at Stone 1779, his abode is shown as Leek but I’m not 100% sure that’s him. 

On 17th March 1781 at St. Edwards, Leek, John Fynney aged 27, Button Merchant, marries Elizabeth Daintry a widow age 30.

Catherine Daintry marries Richard Tomlinson in 1809; they name two of their children after Catherin’s stepfather, Fynney and one after Catherine’s maiden name; Daintry.

All this above is on Family Search.

We know that John Fynney died in 1828 and is buried at St. Edwards, Leek but we do not have the grave reference. Staffordshire Burial Records have his “abode”; Compton.

Also on Staffordshire Burials, in 1818 is a death of Elizabeth Fynney, aged 75 her abode is also shown as Compton, she is buried at St. Edwards Leek, no grave reference.

If we had a grave reference numbers, this might put these two together has anyone any ideas how this could be done?

Also Claire refers to seeing wills online and I wonder where that is available? In order to see Samuel Daintry’s will of 1779 and maybe Elizabeth Fynney’s of 1818.

One more thing; I have seen a Tree on Geni that has Samuel Daintry shown as the son of the Reverend John Daintry of Leek, but it’s lacking evidence. I think I’ve read somewhere that there is a memorial or statue of John Daintry inside St. Edwards.

Boy Scout.

Booth, Askey, Tomlinson, Challinor - Staffordshire
Harvey, Gee, Boston, Shenton, Dale, Maisey, Gibson, Tomlinson, Goodwin - Congleton Cheshire, Fynney- Leek, Manchester, Australia and South Africa

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have been looking at various records today. I think that burial may possibly be your Samuel Daintry. He didn’t leave a Will but there are Administration documents for him, signed by Elizabeth and I’m presuming John Fynney dated 1781.

There are numerous Daintry Wills - one a Charles Daintry dated 1818 ( he died 1810) - not gone through it all but his abode was Leek but he too was buried in Stone.

Elizabeth didn’t leave a Will that I can see - but I will check.

Claire

EDIT: After reading the Will of Charles Daintry he was sister to Catherine Tomlinson nee Daintry who was mentioned in the Will.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boy Scout

• RootsChat Member
  • George in Carnival mood c 1929
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 17:41 BST (UK) »
Claire,

Thanks for your help on this, it is very intresting that Charles Daintry was buried at Stone also.

I've had a look at the Staffordshire Burials for him and he shown as "Abode Darlaston" there must be some family connection with Stone or the Church there.

He was aged 45 and described as a Gent.

Boy Scout
Booth, Askey, Tomlinson, Challinor - Staffordshire
Harvey, Gee, Boston, Shenton, Dale, Maisey, Gibson, Tomlinson, Goodwin - Congleton Cheshire, Fynney- Leek, Manchester, Australia and South Africa

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 18:10 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast also have the Will of John Fynney dated 1829 - mentions surnames Bowers, Tomlinson Johnson and Hulme ( his sister Sarah married a Hulme)

Claire

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 18:22 BST (UK) »
Not conclusive, but given the tree you have seen, there is a baptism in Leek 19 Sept. 1735 of a Samuel Daintry son of John Daintry curate of Endon and Mary his wife. The baptism was also recorded in the registers at Endon.

When John Daintry Curate died in 1758 the Leek St Edward parish register contains not only his burial record but a lengthy paragraph of what a wonderful man he was as a husband, father and as a minister.

Claire