Author Topic: Confused by What Is and Isn't Shown on the 1939  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Confused by What Is and Isn't Shown on the 1939
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 December 17 09:02 GMT (UK) »
I've also had the email (I'm no longer a subscriber) and I suspect that they're now using the information provided by subscribers as a marketing opportunity.

What next? Are we going to see a selection of recent death certificates made available?

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 December 17 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Prompted by last week's FindMyPast Friday, I've been going through the 1939 for my one-name study people again.

I've been surprised by the number of people now visible who were born in the 1930s, and for whom I have not yet traced a death. I have already extracted the deaths from the GRO fiche as far as the end of 2015.

It's possible that I've missed some, such as the woman who married into one of my families, and then remarried after a divorce. It seems unlikely that FindMyPast would go to the trouble of tracing through two or more marriages though.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 December 17 14:33 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm that after a person in a household passes the 100 year embargo rule, the stats for everyone else in the household remain unchanged and still show them as unavailable.
Thus in the example I found with three people, P1, P2 and P3 of which the last was born 1917 but is now viewable, appear as thus:
Looking for P1 shows P1 + P2 +1 unavailable;
Looking for P2 shows P2 + P1 +1 unavailable;
Looking for P3 shows P3 + P1 +1 unavailable!

As an aside they all appear with the surname N which subsequently changes to the correct (though mis-spelt) surname. Has anyone else found this?

I take it you mean they do not show on the indexes or transcripts rather than they do not show on the image.

I have had a number of records open for people I have sent death certificates for and there is a delay between the image being opened and the person appearing on the transcripts and indeed on the index.

I assume it is to do with the work involved or the process involved in updating the indexes and transcripts as opposed to the image.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 December 17 16:24 GMT (UK) »
The England & Wales GRO death index is available now upto June 2017. However, I don't suppose that people from FindMyPast are sitting at any of the 7 hosts sites going through the death index after 2006 on microfiche looking for possible entries.

There are a number of companies who have access to the death index electronically (they pay a small fortune annually to get this info) for legal/fraud prevention purposes. I suspect that FindMyPast may be working either with one of them or directly with the GRO to match and confirm death entries so that records can be opened.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea