Author Topic: McMillan brick wall  (Read 520 times)

Offline Stu McMillan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
McMillan brick wall
« on: Tuesday 05 January 16 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I am hoping somebody will be able to offer some help or advice.

I have been researching my family tree for many years now and have managed to dig as far back as the mid 18th century in most cases. The line that eludes me is that of my surname. During my searches I have only been able to uncover information regarding my great grandfather, his father and his wife (and her ancestry), but come up against a brick wall when trying to locate him on census rolls etc. The only concrete paper evidence I have is his marriage certificate, and the year he died in Leeds (problem being he moved from Scotland to England either pre or post war?)

John Mcmillan, b. abt 1893 in Greenock, d. 1954 in Leeds.

I have no mothers name but his father was a Hugh Mcmillan who was deceased at the time of John's wedding to Annie Storr in Leeds in 1918. I believe he had no siblings.

I would appreciate any help or advice with this as I am starting to think it's going to be one of those lines lost to the ages.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: McMillan brick wall
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stu,

Have you tried scotlandspeople.gov.uk

It's pay-per-view (Credits) in batches of £7 for 30 credits.

You would need to use the "soundex" option for surname McMillan/MacMillan

Give a few years either side of his birth year as it may be out a bit.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline lismore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McMillan brick wall
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stu McMillan
Came across this site some time ago, while I was researching in Greenock, gives a few births, deaths and marriages, hope it helps.

https://www.inverclyde.gov.uk/community-life-and-leisure/libraries/archives-local-history-and-heritage/family-history/intimations