Author Topic: Rosina Jones.  (Read 2507 times)

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rosina Jones.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 07 January 16 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry's database of Selected U.S. Naturalization Records has coverage for the US Southern District Court of New York, which was where Rosina petitioned for naturalization, but it seems to skip over some numbers, including hers.  I don't know if this was accidental or those were somehow missing. 

At any rate, these records would be held by the National Archives.  This might help to get you started on finding further information - https://www.archives.gov/nyc/finding-aids/naturalization-records.html#begin

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 January 16 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone, Well i THINK i have found Rosina's death. I joined the GenealogyBank in America. They had Social Security deaths? I searched and searched through these and came up with:
Rose Jones, Born Dec27 1888 (I only knew the year of birth 1888) and she died Oct 1967 aged 78yrs and 9mths. She died in Manhattan, New York zip 10024. She did lived in Manhattan, so it all SEEMS to fit?

I would really love to get the Death Certificate. Would you know if the American Death Certificates states country of birth and parents names?

Many thanks, Shirley.

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 January 16 14:38 GMT (UK) »
If the information was provided by the informant, then birthplace and parents' names should both be on a New York City death certificate (there's no "American" death certificate). But only direct descendants are eligible to obtain copies of recent NYC death certificates.

See here for more info:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/services/vr.shtml

Also note that the SSDI shows last residence, not place of death, so although it's likely she died in NYC, it's possible she died elsewhere.

If you simply want to confirm it's your great aunt, you could try ordering a copy of her Social Security application (SS-5):
https://www.ssa.gov/foia/request.html#&a0=0

Steve

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 09 January 16 14:56 GMT (UK) »
The Social Security death index is also available on Ancestry, as well as for free on www.familysearch.org.  I hope you didn't pay for a subscription just for that.

I think the easiest way to narrow this down is to get a more exact date of birth for her.  In the England FreeBMD birth index, I don't see a birth for a Rosina Jones in the place noted and that time frame.  There is a Rose Jones registered in Stourbridge in Apr.-Jun. 1888.  There's also another Rose Jones registered in Stourbridge in Apr.-Jun. 1887.  Maybe our English experts can guide you further there.  I would hesitate to assume much about the Rose Jones you found until you know when she was born, especially since the name was so common.

In the US, vital records are held by the state, county, or local level, so the information on them varies by location.  Death records for the 20th century do typically have parents' names and place of birth if known. 

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 09 January 16 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Actually i did pay the subscription as i could not find her entering America on any of the free sites and i could not find her death either, i thought that i would have a better chance with an American site.
I managed to find her in the 1920 census and that i think told me she entered America in 1913, but this was the only reference i could find.

Yes Rosina was born in Stourport, Worcestershire in 1888. She is in the 1901 English Census. Her parents were Edward Thomas and Hannah Jones nee Frankland. They lived in Barrow in Furness, Lancashire.

The other problem i have is that the descendants of her sisters who still live in New York today, know NOTHING about Rosina, as she had no children and never married! So, I'm on my own with this one.
Thanks Shirley.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 January 16 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, there is no site that has every death in the US.  Personally, I think Ancestry is the most thorough for US records.  Genealogy Bank has a lot of US newspapers that are exclusive to them, but I'm not aware that they have anything as far as vital records that can't be found elsewhere. 

If the only source for the year of birth is the census, I would think it's possible that the 1887 or 1888 birth could be her.  At any rate, neither Rose Jones birth fit the date of birth on the Social Security death index.  As I mentioned above, if she died before approximately 1962, she probably won't be on the Social Security death index.  If you have access to a Family History Center, they do have a microfilm with NY City deaths up to 1965.  There is a group working to get this information online, but it hasn't happened yet.   :-\

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 09 January 16 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Not much help but this looks like Rosina coming back to NY:(On A*try)
Rosina Jones on board the Majestic to New York
Arrival Date:   25 Aug 1926

I think ??? they've tried to give a dob for her-although the year is way off...March 6 might still be her birthday.

Hope someone can take a look.

Maureen

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 09 January 16 18:39 GMT (UK) »
The passenger list can be seen here - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9PT7-9BJW?mode=g&i=228&wc=MFVT-9TL%3A1029816501%3Fcc%3D1923888&cc=1923888  It looks like the date of birth was completely crossed out.