Author Topic: Additional Original Northamptonshire Parish Registers on Ancestry  (Read 6279 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Additional Original Northamptonshire Parish Registers on Ancestry
« on: Wednesday 06 January 16 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed that the remaining* Northamptonshire parish registers have appeared on ancestry. ;D

Northamptonshire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1532-1812
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=9198

Northamptonshire, England, Marriages, 1754-1912
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=9199

Added - *remaining in the sense of Marriage and Pre1813 Baptisms and Burials - doesn't mean, as ever with ancestry, that they are complete.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
Re: Additional Original Northamptonshire Parish Registers on Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Oooh, thanks for alerting me to that, Smudwhisk. That's me occupied for the foreseeable future then.... ;D
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Me too. ;D  Been waiting for these ever since the later baptisms and burials went online last February.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Finally I can make some progress on my grandfather's part of the tree - it's been looking a bit thin compared to the other branches, and a couple of the marriages I've found already might break some long-standing brick walls.

Sorry other ancestors, you're getting ignored for a while :P
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting this, just a word of warning they are not complete as just checked a couple of mine and they are not there. Then checked the dates for the parish in question and Ancestry only start in 1798. so if what you are looking for is not there do not despair they may be uploading more records at a later date
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks davidft. I do not currently have a sub to Ancestry. My family research on my main family has been blocked for several years by my inability to find a Northants birth around 1765-68. I read Smudwisk's original post and had just decided to ask how it was known that this completed the records before taking out a sub. You have now answered my question and saved me some money. Hopefully, as you say, they are working on other records and will get back to where you and I want to get to in due course

Tony

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 22:06 GMT (UK) »
What births are you looking for? I can have a look on the discs I have if it helps
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 23:12 GMT (UK) »
I read Smudwisk's original post and had just decided to ask how it was known that this completed the records before taking out a sub. You have now answered my question and saved me some money. Hopefully, as you say, they are working on other records and will get back to where you and I want to get to in due course

Tony

I didn't say they'd completed it, although I appreciate te phrasing may have suggested that.  The "remaining" in this context were Marriages and pre1812 Baptisms and Burials which not included in last February's release.  I'll amend the post so its a little clearer.

I'd be surprised knowing ancestry if there weren't gaps.  That said, FindMyPast are as bad, Hertfordshire and Westminster being prime examples. :-\

There's definitately a gap in Haselbech marriages between 1798 and 1808, I was looking for one I know is there (as have seen on the microfiche) for 1806. :-X  Whether that's caused by NRO or ancestry, remains to be seen.  It'll depend on who digitised the registers and I think from memory it was NRO. :-\

At least if the whole register is missing, its easier to spot.

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. My oldest known paternal ancestor was Edward Vines who by calculation from his death certificate age was born around 1765. He married in Collyweston, Northants in 1796 and the parish marriage record states that he was from the parish of Laxton, Northants. That doesn't necessarily mean that he was born there of course and I've not been able to find his birth in Laxton. He eventually moved from Collyweston to Bulwick (where he also died and which is near Laxton). I know that death record ages are often wrong too which doesn't help!

I have information about births of an Edward Vines in Apethorpe around the correct date and also in Hambleton in nearby Rutland and they appear to be the only ones in the area with both the right name and date.  There are other Edward Vines births in the area but they are quite far off in date terms from the calculated birth date above.