Author Topic: Additional Original Northamptonshire Parish Registers on Ancestry  (Read 6280 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Additional Original Northamptonshire Parish Registers on Ancestry
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 07 January 16 19:04 GMT (UK) »

I agree that FindMyPast miss things out. I complained to them about missing census records for a village in Leicestershire well over 2 years ago ....

If the page is missing from the numbered sequence (i.e. does it jump from, say, p.12 to p.14) it could well be at the National Archives.  There's a missing page on Ancestry for the Bideford on Avon 1861 census. Ancestry advised me to contact the Warwickshire Records Office; they didn't have it either but referred me to TNA. I emailed them and a couple of weeks later received a reply and a copy of the missing page.

Hope this makes sense :)

STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 07 January 16 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi STG

The point I was trying to make is that the census in question is available but somehow either the transcribers working for FindMyPast overlooked them or more likely FindMyPast themselves dropped the pages down the back of the office fridge. I know that they are available because they have been transcribed for Ancestry. More importantly when the omission was pointed out to them they firstly claimed that the original records were not available to them i.e. they had been lost by GRO in the dim and distant past (not true) and then when corrected they did nothing about it.   

As someone else pointed out, none of them is perfect but the above example smacks of disdain for their customers.

Tony

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 07 January 16 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Davidft

Sorry for not replying earlier but for some reason Rootschat has stopped sending me notifications of replies to threads I have contributed to. Well at least they didn't today!

Thanks for your work on my behalf. They are the same finds that have come up before. I think that the two outer Edwards are unlikely in the one instance because he would have been in his mid 90s when he died (surely his wife would have known) rather than his mid 80s and in the other it would have made his marriage somewhat early in life. The middle one from Apethorpe remains a strong possibility in view of its location but sadly that takes me no farther forward. I somehow need to find a reference to his parents or his place of birth in another valid record that I know relates to him. But given his humble background I think that is unlikely. I suspect that my paternal line will for ever be stuck at Edward.

Tony

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 January 16 08:53 GMT (UK) »

The middle one from Apethorpe remains a strong possibility in view of its location but sadly that takes me no farther forward. I somehow need to find a reference to his parents or his place of birth in another valid record that I know relates to him. But given his humble background I think that is unlikely. I suspect that my paternal line will for ever be stuck at Edward.

Do you know the names of any of his siblings, would that help?

Do you know who the witnesses at his marriage were, any chance there were family members included?

Alternatively have you looked in Leicestershire as Apethorpe and Laxton are very close to there
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 08 January 16 09:40 GMT (UK) »
I found some of the index transcriptions muddling.For example the named wife was actually the child which was clear when you looked at the real transcript.Look carefully at the names.
I too am missing at least one Naseby record ....maybe born elsewhere....
Still it's good to see these records and I hope some of my brick walls can be knocked down.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 08 January 16 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Been delving into the family of my 3xgreat-grandmother Elizabeth Brawn - a corner of my tree I'd not previously explored. The Northamptonshire records have really opened things up for me.

And give Ancestry some credit - in most cases, the surname hasn't been mistranscribed as Brown :)
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 08 January 16 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi again davidft

[/quote]

Do you know the names of any of his siblings, would that help?

Do you know who the witnesses at his marriage were, any chance there were family members included?

Alternatively have you looked in Leicestershire as Apethorpe and Laxton are very close to there
[/quote]

I don't know the names of his siblings. I would however if I knew which of two families he was from!

The witnesses to the marriage were someone from the bride's side (probably although the surname was spelled slightly differently) and someone from neither family if the name is anything to go by so I don't think that helps

Apethorpe and Laxton are closer to Rutland than to Leicestershire (and also to Peterborough which has spent time in Northants, Hunts and Cambridgeshire) and there is indeed an Edward Vines from around the same birth date in the records for Hambleton, Rutland. He is our second strong possibility and a branch of that family line can also be found a few decades later in a small village called Knossington in Leicestershire which we know our family lived in as well. Indeed there was even inter-marriage between the two lines in Knossington when the widow of a Vines from one line married a widower called Vines from the other line (saves changing the notepaper I suppose!) so there is some circumstantial evidence that the two lines may have earlier links. However, Apethorpe is closer to both Laxton and Collyweston (where Edward's marriage took place) so that too could be circumstantial evidence.

It is very annoying to get so far and not be able to get farther back but I do appreciate your ideas. Thank you.
Tony

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 08 January 16 18:41 GMT (UK) »
OK. Don't give up hope. I posted a message on here four years ago for someone I could not find. I got a message at the end of last year identifying his whereabouts so it does happen.

Good luck with the continued search
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 08 January 16 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks David. I certainly won't give up looking but it's a brick wall I've had for maybe 8 years of the 12 years I've been working on my family.

Tony