Author Topic: Additional Original Northamptonshire Parish Registers on Ancestry  (Read 6282 times)

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
Re: Additional Original Northamptonshire Parish Registers on Ancestry
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the explanation Smudwhisk. It did seem to me that "remaining" signified 'all that were left'.

I agree that FindMyPast miss things out. I complained to them about missing census records for a village in Leicestershire well over 2 years ago. They told me that the only explanation must be that the original census records must have been lost so could not be transcribed but as they are transcribed on Ancestry (which you can see without a subscription of course but not the detail) I told them that this was not an acceptable excuse. 2 years later they are still missing from FindMyPast.

Tony

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 23:57 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast have great gaps in the Hertfordshire Parish Registers, particularly for Watford and Rickmansworth post 1800, but others also.  When queried, they said it was the Records Office's fault and would investigate, but nothing has come of it and when other RCers have asked the RO about it, they never got a reply. :-X

Same problem with ancestry, there remain some quite large gaps in the non-Westminster London parish registers.  Although the London Metropolitan Archives were apparently keeping a list of gaps, nothing has ever been done about it.

I suppose we should be thankful with what has been made available online, but its just very frustrating when there are some so obvious errors in quality checking both by the commercial companies and the archives concerned. ::)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 January 16 00:04 GMT (UK) »
As a heads up, ancestry do not appear to have indexed all the registers yet that are uploaded.  I was looking for a baptism in Naseby from 1749 that I know exists.  The Bishops Transcript entry appeared in the search results but not the one from the Parish Register itself.  A trawl through the Parish Register found it so they are uploaded.

So, if something's missing and the register is definitely on the site, its worth checking to see if its just not been indexed.  The same thing happened originally with the Gloucestershire PRs when they were first uploaded. 

Interestingly though when saving the Parish Register entry it is available to "Save to your Shoebox" which normally with an unindexed page isn't available.  So its anybody's guess what ancestry are up to with the indexing because the next page in the Parish Register is showing in the results itself. :-X
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 January 16 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Roade parish registers are missing from 1725-1812, the BTs are on there but as I've already been through the PRs looks like I shall have to wait and hope they get uploaded at a later date. :-\

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 January 16 07:06 GMT (UK) »
The collections that were added last year (i.e. baptisms and burials 1813-1912) are showing up as "recently updated"... so there's a chance that some missing records or even entire parishes may have been added. Same goes for the Gloucestershire parish records.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 January 16 10:44 GMT (UK) »
This is good.
Although my great great grandmother was born in Oundle, her father was from Hunts, so my NOrthamptonshire ancestry is just from her mother's side.
I have made quite good progress, but this should help a lot.
I still need to go to NOrthants RO though to look at some wills
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 January 16 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Re: Edward Vines

I looked for Edward Vines born 1765 plus or minus 10 years. It only gave three records

Edward VINES son of William & Elizabeth baptised 16-Mar 1755, Gretton C of E
Edward VINES son of John & Eleanor baptised 19-Jul 1767, Apethorpe C of E
Edward VINES son of William baptised 19-Dec 1775, Wellingborough C of E

These are from Church of England and non conformist records, also included a search for Vine, Vyne and Vynes which showed no results

All three of the above baptisms appear on Ancestry but only two in the index. The baptism of Edward Vines 19 Dec 1775 is indexed as that of John Jones who is actually the entry above Edward Vines. So John Jones is currently there as baptised 6 Dec 1775 and 19 Dec 1775. I have informed Ancestry.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 07 January 16 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for letting us know.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 January 16 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hmm there seem to be some problems with many early records
At least I  can manually look at the pages

E.g. I looked at the Polebrook records and found John Palmer son of Henry b 1655

There does not appear to be any transcription - even mistranscribed for this
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com