Author Topic: Hamilton & Saunders 1900's SE UK  (Read 8995 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Hamilton & Saunders 1900's SE UK
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 10 January 16 11:53 GMT (UK) »
It is possible that 1892 Ernest died in infancy
Birth June qtr 1892 
Saunders    Ernest       
Paddington    1a   19    

Deaths June qtr 1893
Saunders    Ernest    age 1   
Paddington    1a   8   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CathrynJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 10 January 16 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Aha, that does seem a pretty clear link one to the next, good to clear up as it was troubling me that his birth year was the same as the one for Ernest Saunders on the 1911.

Just looking at all the other info ...

Offline CathrynJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Finding Reginald Hamilton - anyone like a good mystery?
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 10 January 16 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Summarising here the outcomes of this huge long thread

And continuing the search to find "Reginald Hamilton"

Marie M Saunders (on 1911 aged 16 and living in Maida Vale daughter of Ernestine) gives birth it seems (tbc) to 3 children:

Daphne Marguerite Hamilton b1911 Paddington
Stewart E/R Hamilton b1914 Eastbourne Sussex
Anthony P Hamilton b1916 Willseden Middlesex

Daphne (my grandmother): birth certificate lists Reginald Hamilton, flannel manufacturers traveller as father.

Birth certificates are on order Anthony (will order Stewarts too later) to confirm if Reginald / Marie are listed as parents as for Daphne.

1939 census sees Anthony P Hamilton "Occupation traveller" living in Uckfield with Ernestine, mother of Marie. In the 1960's we find Anthony living back in Maida Vale with Stewart.

Back in 1939 - Marie is living a short way away from Anthony. She is now Marie Lambert, married to Walter Lambert, living with Daphne Jiggens (my gran), Hamilton Jiggens (Daphnes son) and two more locked records who could be other family members: Percy Charles (husband of Daphne), rex Jiggens (second son of Daphne) and / or Walter Lambert.

Marie and Reginald never appear to marry. It could be that Reginald dies in the war?

The question is - who is Reginald Hamilton? I have a few possibles on the 1901 / 1911 but have not been able to pin down for sure who he is.

If you like intrigue and mysteries read on -

It seems certain that Maries mother - Ernestine - also had her children out of wedlock too.

Ernestine Saunders b1864 - 1961 - mother of Eugene and Marie on the 1911 is listed as widowed.

However it seems from family pictures and stories that she is in fact Ernestine Le Fort who christens an illegitimate child in Marleybone 1890. And also has Marie Saunders in 1894.

Family stories say that my Grandmother Daphne was traveller - possibly Romany.

I have read on this forum that travellers "often didn't marry but would sometimes baptise their children".

It seems that we have two generations of women - Ernestine and Marie - in stable relationship where they give birth to several children, but do not marry the fathers.

Additionally in several places those children are listed as "traveller" -

Anthony P Hamilton on 1939
Reginald Hamilton on the birth certificate of Daphne.

So thats a summary of the story so far. I have some birth & marriage certificates due end of January, and also am doing dna matching on familydna.com

If anyone spots anything in the meantime - any help most welcome!

With thanks,

Cathryn

Offline eadyd001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 16 September 17 15:40 BST (UK) »
I have recently been doing family research with my partner. We have studied the trees on ancestry and the internet and believe her great grandfather is a relative of Marie M Saunders. Keith Lawson Lambert was born in Tiverton, Devon on the 1st January 1927 (Mothers maiden name Saunders). This is after Basil (1923) and before Sheila A Lambert in 1931. I wondered if any of you have any opinions on this. Keith L Lambert is living with his supposed half brother Stewart E Hamilton in Uckfield, just down the road from Marie on the 1939 register.   

Offline CathrynJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 17 September 17 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi there, yes indeed you are right, I have added Keith to my tree, not sure how I missed him! So you are you over on Ancestry? I have found a picture of Keith there on a tree, wonder if that is yours? If not if might be nice for you to see.

Wondering if you have any rumours or snippets of family lore about the Hamilton children that Marie had before meeting Walter? Marie never married the father - Reginald - and I can't track him down. Still a mystery/ By the way the name Saunders also is made up. Marie's mom Ernestine never married the father of her two children. He was simply named as "Ernest Saunders, A gentleman" on the birth certificates. The mom and children live in Maida Vale in the early 1900's - a place at the time notorious for housing "mistresses in every other flat". She adopts the name Saunders on the 1911 but there is no marriage.

Originally she was Ernestine Lefort, daughter of a french Jeweller.

Find me over at Ancestry if you are there, and you can fill in the tree.

I have recently been doing family research with my partner. We have studied the trees on ancestry and the internet and believe her great grandfather is a relative of Marie M Saunders. Keith Lawson Lambert was born in Tiverton, Devon on the 1st January 1927 (Mothers maiden name Saunders). This is after Basil (1923) and before Sheila A Lambert in 1931. I wondered if any of you have any opinions on this. Keith L Lambert is living with his supposed half brother Stewart E Hamilton in Uckfield, just down the road from Marie on the 1939 register.

Offline eadyd001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 17 September 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hello. I am not a paid up member of ancestry so it will not let me message you. Maybe if you contact me and message me on there it might work. My username is eadyd001. . I do not know much of the family secrets but am really intrigued by what you have been writing.

* Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline CathrynJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi there Eady, I have sent you an invite to the tree on ancestry, hopefully you can see it! Sorry my replies are a bit slow sometimes, work takes over and ancestry things have to take a back seat for a while! Good wishes.

Offline Magiclaura

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 28 December 17 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi all. This is all very new to me but I have been searching for more information about my ancestor Eugene Le fort and found this thread. Assuming we have the same person in mind as Eugene was a French jeweller/artist that lived in Crosby square. Like I say, I’m completely new to this but thought I would let you know that I have a little bit of artwork of eugenes including a self portrait if you would like to see it

Offline CathrynJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 30 December 17 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Dear Laura,
Yes that is indeed my ancestor, thank you for getting in touch, I would love to see some of his artwork! I will send you a private message.