Author Topic: Hamilton & Saunders 1900's SE UK  (Read 8890 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Hamilton & Saunders 1900's SE UK
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 18:14 GMT (UK) »
It is a pleasure.  :)

I had noticed Daphne died in Staffordshire  ;D  I have got to finish for today but maybe someone else can see something I missed. 

Rosie

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CathrynJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Posting upadates here to help me keep track!

So I am searching now for Reginald Hamilton the man listed on the birth certificate as Daphne's father with Marie Saunders in 1911. Family lore is that he was Romany.

From the Electoral records of 1910 there is a Reginald Hamilton living at 55 Maddin Ave in Lewisham 1910. Interestingly his next door neighbours are John Saunders / Harriet Sarah Anne Saunders and I wonder if they might be any relation to Marie Saunders?

Reginald Hamilton lives here throughout 1910 till 1928. In 1920 these people are also listed as living with him:

William Hamilton
Charlotte Elfrida Hamilton
Charles William Hamilton

There is a William Hamilton of Deal in 1879 who was married to a Charlotte Hamilton. By 1920 he would have been 42. He is also a known Gypsy family lineage of the Scamp family tree. Could it be possible him and Charlotte, moved in with Reginald Hamilton?

What relation then would Reginald Hamilton have been to him?

Offline CathrynJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Then finally there is a death of reginald hamilton going back to Dartford in Kent.

Reginald Hamilton
Birth Date:
abt 1885
Date of Registration:
Mar 1927
Age at Death:
Registration district:
Dartford
Inferred County:
Kent
Volume:
2a
Page:

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 January 16 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Reginald Hamilton, Occupation - Flannel Manufacturers Traveller -

Have you tried searching census to see where Flannel manufacturers are mainly based.  The use of the word 'traveller' could probably mean Travelling salesman rather than Romany. Your Reginald may have come from outside the London area.

My grandmother's sister married someone who they all referred to as a gipsy - he was a brush maker/salesman and ended up with a factory which apparently supplied Woolworths. :)   Tracing him back there are no indications his family were Romanies.

Also beware of trees on Ancestry and similar sites, treat them with caution.  Always check the information they give yourself.  Don't think that because loads of people have the same it is correct, it is one of the problems with the site people just add family because someone else says it's right.

Rosie

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 January 16 15:50 GMT (UK) »
There is a Reginald Alfred Hamilton at 74 Leith Mansions, Paddington in 1910 though no longer there by the census.  Maybe it was him  :-\

Have you checked any connections with the family living in Hurlingham House when Daphne was born.
The electoral registers have 3 ladies there in 1909
Miss Edith Davis
Miss Florence Davis (later registers show her as Florence Naomi Davis)
Miss Helen Davis
From about 1915 there is just Edith & Florence.

Offline CathrynJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 January 16 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Scrap the question below, I found the record I think you mean - Ernestine Saunders dies in Cannock in 1961, crikey if it was her she was a good old age! In the pics I have there is one of a very old woman that looks like it was shot in around 50's. Thanks!

Dear Rosie -

You say at one point

If I have the right family the mother is in Uckfield area in 1939 and possibly dies in Cannock Staffordshire in 1961

Sorry to be slow but I assume you mean Marie "Lambert" - Daphnes mom? I am looking on ancstrydotcom and can't find this death recorded, have tried saunder and hamilton as surnames too. Am I missing something ?

Offline CathrynJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 January 16 00:08 GMT (UK) »
So a wee update:

I decided to go onto findmypast and living in the Uckfield house (12 Walters Cottages) in 1939 does look to be my Gran Daphne, with son Hamilton, and Mother Marie Lambert. Two records are locked, guess they would be Percy Charles, husband of Daphne and my Dad Rex, will see about getting them unlocked perhaps as they are deceased.

Also in Uckfield (4 Green Sq Mount Pleasant*) in 1939 register is as you say Rosie - Anthony P Hamilton b12 Apr 1916 living in the same house as Ernestine Saunders. Anthony P Hamilton occupation is listed as Traveller (another one...). This is too tempting a link - is he the son of Marie also, born a few years after Daphne? So I have ordered his birth certificate ...

Finally in the 1960's an Anthony P Hamilton pops up in Maida Vale, just a few streets away from where Ernestine with children Ernest and Marie, are listed as living in the 1911 census. Living in the same house as Anthony P Hamilton in the 1960's is Jenni, James and JIM Morrison.

The only other ancestor I can remember from my grandmother Daphne is "Uncle Jim" who used to work a smallholding in Kent when I went to visit Granny down there in the early 70's - a coincidence?

Time for bed!

* Also in the same house as you say Rosie is the White Family (it is listed as the "White Household") James L 1890 / Susan 1904 / Charles R 1927. They are Labourer & unpaid domestic as is Ernestine.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 January 16 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the update. It will be interesting to see what information the 1916 birth certificate gives.

When do you think Uncle 'Jim' could have been born - Is he likely to be Jim Morrison or James L White  :-\

I do wonder were Ernestine was before 1911 though  ;D
There is an Ernestine Lefort that is bugging me though, she had an illegitimate son Ernest Frederick c1890  ::)

Offline CathrynJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 January 16 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Ha ha funny I am just sitting here now searching that same thing myself.

Looking through births for the year of birth given for Ernestine on the 1939 census, these two caught my eye. The first because the surname Lefort sounds familiar, the second because of the name Marie being the same as the daughters name. They are both the correct registration month (Oct being listed as the birthdate). The birthplace is listed as Pimlico elsewhere.

ErnestineMary Lefort
Oct-Nov-Dec
St George Hanover Square
London

Ernestine Marie
Oct-Nov-Dec
Marylebone
London