Author Topic: Details on McKinney's stud book  (Read 4143 times)

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
Re: Details on McKinney's stud book
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 January 16 22:20 GMT (UK) »
The McKINNEY stud books were microfilmed by LDS.
Ref: British Film 0258610.
You can request your local LDS centre to get it in, for use (usually on limited loan) on their site.
You might also be able to order a copy for yourself, for use wherever/forever.

The original books are held within PRONI, under Reference T1013.
[Simply dial up "Search the Catalogue" and enter "T1013*" to see their descriptions.]

Think that T1013/2B is what you would want to call up first.
This will be the special "indexed, 200-families" version produced for his daughter Jane McKINNEY.
[She married and became Jane DUNDEE.]

Her daughter, his grand-daughter, Isabel CROZIER, wrote a book about her grandfather.
"William Fee McKINNEY of Sentry Hill: his family and friends"
1985, Impact Printing, Coleraine  ISBN 0 948154 00 4
[Out of print now: I got the last "fousty" copy off the shelves!]

----
P.45
The Sentry Hill Family Register Book was on loan to the Public Record Office in Belfast for one year and is known as "The Carnmoney Note Book". Both Family Register Books, the Sentry Hill and my mother's were known in the family as the 'Stud' Books, and still are to this day.
In W.F. McKinney's time and afterwards people came from America and Canada each summer to find out details of their ancestry.
----

P.43
One of the most important tasks undertaken by W.F. McKinney was the building up of some hundred 'family trees' of Carnmoney people into a Family Register Book.

The main sources ...
  Carnmoney Pb (Old Session Books, 1686-1831)
  Carnmoney CoI (restricted to 500 names from marriages and births)
  Templepatrick
  Ballyeaston
  Ballylinney
  Hydepark
  Ballycraigy Cg

... and information gleaned from his relations and friends and handed down from generation to generation.

----

So, no mention of Ballynure.
[However, gentlemen from there may well have married ladies from the above congregations.
 I've seen newspaper reports of the Minister of the Ballylinney congregation marrying folks at Ballynure meeting house.]

WFMcK's books were photographed at Sentry Hill by Ron Colemen in 1975.
RC also captured the early records from Templepatrick and from Ballyeaston.
Each was assembled in to separate gedcom trees, then enhanced over the years by info from family history researchers who contacted him.

All three were recently submitted on to the LDS "Family Search" online offering.
[So, in theory, if your ancestor ain't there, then he/she ain't in the stud books!
 Sadly, no references to the studbook volumes/pages were included in the gedcoms.
 The only 'hook' is Ron COLEMAN's name as submitter of the data.]

Ron is still with us, and will respond to all queries.
I'll PM his latest known EMail to you.

Alternatively, he frequents Ancestry regularly.
He also appears to have made a brief appearance on this conference in 2006 as Ballybentra.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=149980.msg734782#msg734782

----
Not aware of any definitive analysis (or overall investigation of the integrity) of the McKINNEY record collections/productions ...

IC says there were two books, one (at Sentry Hill) containing 100 families, and the indexed version produced for her mother containing 200 families.  RC told me (JUL-2012) that his gedcom contains 1,300 marriages and 11,000 individuals!

Hope that this helps,

Capt Jock
WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline frankie-d

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 January 16 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Jock, Thanks for all the detail, much appreciated. I looked at the tree on familysearch, found 11 Boyds but none in Ballynure. Not sure I found all the sources so I'll contact Ron C to see if he can add anything.

MFG, John and Jane Boyd had 5 children, the first 4 including William John between 1842 & 1851 in Bruslee, the last 1854 in Little Ballymena. There's a John Boyd in Little B in Griffith's (1861) but I can't find a Civil death record for either of them. Maybe they had both died before 1864, it doesn't help that they have common names.
William John married Hester Jane Crockett in 1880 and had 5 kids including my granny Annie. They ended up in Ballyclare, in 1901 he's a "Bleacher in the Bleach & Dye Works" aka The Green, in 1911 he's a Paper Storeman, presumably in the Paper Mill. Living in Wilson's Row, Le Ballyclare, both times. He died in 1924 aged 78, a labourer. My mum told me he came home from work, ate his dinner and slumped dead at the table. Not the worst way to go.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 January 16 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Jock, I shall look that up next time I’m there.  I tried looking at Ron’s tree but the site is telling me it has technical difficulties at the moment.

Frankie – thanks for the info.  Would I be right in saying WJ Boyd married Hester in 1876 rather than 1880?

Offline frankie-d

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 January 16 13:10 GMT (UK) »
That's right, 1880 was when my grandma was born.

Offline mcminor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 July 18 21:36 BST (UK) »

Hi Looking For the Marriage of David Mckeown to Matilda Coulter have seen a ref by R Coleman on the LDS site 1847 Ballyeaston . Four of there children were Baptised in the 1st Ballyeaston Presbyterian church
James 26/05/1848
David 30/071850
Jane   7/04/1853
Alissa  9/08/1855
Is it possible that they were married at the same church? as I am unlikely to get to Belfast,can you suggest a way off tacling this would be most grateful for any help
yours Truly
mcminor