Author Topic: Elder / Naming of the children of unwed mothers  (Read 4251 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elder / Naming of the children of unwed mothers
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 January 16 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Father John Elder was a scutcher (which is one reason I know that you had the wrong parents for Annie) and they lived about Ballylintagh.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ben McCloskey Robinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 January 16 14:04 GMT (UK) »
I've come across a Martha Elder who married a Wilson Kennedy, Martha's father is John and he is a scutcher and they live at Ballylintagh so must be a sister of Annie. Her husband Wilson Kennedy has no listed father, and he is also a scutcher. If my maths is correct, it seems Martha and siblings may have been born before 1864, which would explain why I can't find them on PRONI!

Also, the name Wilson would also explain Annie's son's middle name that I queried at the start of this thread!

Co. Derry - McFadden, McCloskey, McAfee, Millican, Elder, Graham, Grissam, Gault
Co. Tyrone - Robinson, Little, Potter, Crawford, Menary, Millar, Murphy, Hackett
Co. Armagh - Magowan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 January 16 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Family trees can be a bit messy at times  ;)

Annie's son was John Wilson Kennedy/Elder known locally as Kennedy rather than Elder.

Martha Elder (c1860) had children Jane (1869) and Robert (1873) before her marriage. By Wilson Kennedy there was son Wilson (1882).
Sister Margaret Elder married
Margaret Elder (c1864, illegitimate?) m.(1881) Robert Kennedy. Ch.: Robert John (1881), Martha (1884), Wilson (1887).

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 January 16 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

I can't wait to get home in two weeks because my grandmother used to have a family tree of Elders and Mullans she was given by one of the Mullans around Garvagh and I'm dying to see it now I have all this information. Hopefully theres a bit more on it!
Co. Derry - McFadden, McCloskey, McAfee, Millican, Elder, Graham, Grissam, Gault
Co. Tyrone - Robinson, Little, Potter, Crawford, Menary, Millar, Murphy, Hackett
Co. Armagh - Magowan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 January 16 15:52 GMT (UK) »
If it's the family information I'm thinking of it may not be complete  ;)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 January 16 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Yeah I think it has a few blank spaces on it, but I think there's a lot of people in the area on it too!

I have Margaret and Robert Kennedy's marriage cert too, although I didn't think there was a connection because Margaret's residence isn't Ballylintagh, and her father isn't listed as John, even though she as married exactly a year after her sister Martha was!

These three sisters must have populated most of Aghadowey, Coleraine and Garvagh!
Co. Armagh - Magowan

Offline garydevine

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandfather Alexander Allison in 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 01:04 BST (UK) »
Not sure if theres a connection but my 3x great gran was a Mary Elder born about 1844 her parents are John Elder and Mary or Jane Kane. she married Henry Kennedy in 1864 Ballylintagh and theyve had 3 children born there, Jane, John and Mary. Henrys parents are John Kennedy and Sarah Ann Brown or Kane. there is a possible sister of Henry called Mary that died in Australia in 1857.

Gary
Hamilton, Lanarkshire - Devine, McGarry, Daisley, McGuire, Mullen, Sheridan, Ford
Blantyre, Lanarkshire - Gibson, Hamill, McInulty
Avondale, Strathaven - Mulligan, Dempsey
Glasgow - Sinclair, Allison, McFarlane
Renfrewshire - Allison
Perthshire - Sinclair, Roy, Donaldson
Edinburgh and Caithness Thurso - Sutherland
Edinburgh and Ayrshire - Sheridan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 01:18 BST (UK) »
Hello! Great to hear from you, I'm 100% we have a connection, I have Annie's two sisters Martha and Margaret married to Kennedys too but there's no reason why one wouldn't have been Mary but I think I'll have to look into it more. My family are still based in that area, my grandfather was born in Ballylintagh and my grandmother in Blackhill which is neighbouring to it!

I think John Elder's wife was Mary Kane not Jane but I'll do some digging and get back to you on that branch

Cheers

Ben
Co. Armagh - Magowan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 09:03 BST (UK) »
John Elder's wife was Mary KANE not Jane.

There were at least 3 Elder/Kennedy marriages-
Margaret Elder m. Robert Kennedy
Martha Elder m. Wilson Kennedy
Mary Elder m. Henry Kennedy