Author Topic: George Davidson baptism Norham c 1804 COMPLETED  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Lilym

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Davidson baptism Norham c 1804 COMPLETED
« on: Thursday 07 January 16 11:03 GMT (UK) »
New Year resolution: Try to sort out some queries in earlier parts of my family tree.
Please could someone check the Norham baptism register for information on George Davidson. I have conflicting information: census indicates birth c1804 as does the MI. His parents are Ebenezer, a schoolmaster, and Margaret (Hume).
There is a baptism for a George to these parents in Cornhill in 1798. It was quite usual in this family to name a later child after one that had died but so far I have been unable to locate a burial for the earlier child.
Many thanks

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: George Davidson baptism Norham c 1804
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 January 16 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Just posting this info for reference purposes

This is the birth and christening of the George you are researching - born and baptised in 1805

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N58K-G25
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NJ54-M4C

And this is the "other" George - born and baptised in 1798

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NDNX-G82

Parents marriage - 1794

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NDNX-G82

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 January 16 17:17 GMT (UK) »
This is the Cornhill one:  George Davidson born 18 Feb 1798 baptised 28 Feb 1st son of Ebeneezer Davidson, School Master, native of Tillmouth by Margaret Hume native of the parish of Eccles.

A burial in Norham:  George Davidson, age 3y 9m, 5 Aug 1801

An added one:  Alexander Davison of Norham, son of Ebenezer Davison, Schoolmaster, died 14 Nov 1810 buried Nov 16. Age 2 yrs.    This Alexander was baptised in the Associate Congregation of Norham (Presby) 16 Oct 1808.  There was another Alexander Davidson baptised 11 Aug 1811.  The second George was baptised in this church

Marriage announced at Norham:  Abenezer (sic) Davidson, Schoolmaster of Norham and Margaret Hume of the parish of Coldstream in Scotland were married at Coldstream 4 Jan 1794 [this was not a Coldstream Bridge marriage]

Hope this helps

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Lilym

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 January 16 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks CaroleW and 2zpool. Exactly what I was looking for.

Unfortunately there are no BTs for Norham (or more likely I can't find them) and I am not able to get to Woodhorn to look at microfilm. I have seen in both the Norham and Cornhill registers entries that relate to events 'over the border' and am very thankful to those farsighted vicars.

Lily

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Davidson baptism Norham c 1804 COMPLETED
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 January 16 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Norham BT's will not contain non conformist records that are within the parish record books.  The Bishop was only interested in the C of E events.

The names George and Alexander are probably significant as they were used both twice.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb

Offline Lilym

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 January 16 17:32 GMT (UK) »
True 2zpool, but most residents were buried in the parish church graveyard and appear in the burial records (and usually BTs when complete sets survive). I have found that very useful before the cemeteries opened for my many ancestors in the border country.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 January 16 03:40 GMT (UK) »
True about burials although you don't need to be buried where you died.  You will have to purchase transcripts for the BT's not available or for the missing years or if the LDS has the films order those.  I have never ordered a film so I do not know if they contained burials.

Janis