Author Topic: Alexander MacRae, lost on the Annie Jane  (Read 895 times)

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander MacRae, lost on the Annie Jane
« on: Thursday 07 January 16 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello everybody

Just been sent this link by someone from Canada who is  helping me searching for Scottish people who lost their lives in the Annie Jane, its of a gravestone in Kilchuiman cemetery. 
http://scottishwargraves.phpbbweb.com/scottishwargraves-post-17900.html

In affectionate remembrance of Finlay MacRae, Miller of Fort Augustus who died on the 30th Jan 1865 aged 65 years and of his wife Janet Dingwall who died on the 11th Aug 1881 aged 75 years. Also of their 3 sons John of the 79th Highlanders died in 1855 aged 25 years. Alexander drowned by the wreck of the Annie Jane in 1854 aged 23 years. Ewen died in 1848 aged 7 years. This stone was erected by the surviving members of the family.

So that's another found I am wondering if he was among the 100 Scottish tradesmen.
Been looking for him in the 1851 census he has left the family home, so far with no perfect fit. I am sure with some of your well developed and honed skills you will do better. Any help greatly appreciated.

In the light of this discovery I am wondering if any of the other casualties are mentioned on family headstones, So if you have noticed any mention of the Annie Jane or drowning in a sea tragedy in 1853 on one of your local headstones could you check the names against the online list.
www.anniejane.net/passengers/steerage-passengers-drowned/

Thanks for reading

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander MacRae, lost on the Annie Jane
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 January 16 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Here is the 1861 reference for Finlay - born 1800 Urray, Rossshire

Abertarff ED 3 Page 6 Line 19
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 January 16 17:36 GMT (UK) »
And here's the 1851 ref

Boleskine and Abertarff ED 8 Page 7 Line 1
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 January 16 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your efforts Carole
And thanks to everybody else, I know you tried.

I think its a case of people re-inventing themselves, what is the worst that could happen when you got to Canada? Get sacked,  in a country screaming for labour I don't think so. In the days of hand written certificates, references and no phones it would have been easy. Who would not say to their brother or friend take a chance and come with me.
In the end I am glad to find who Alexander was and where he was originally from, where he was in 1851 doesn't matter.

Regards everybody