Author Topic: demolished georgian house outlane scammonden scapegoat huddersfield  (Read 2492 times)

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
demolished georgian house outlane scammonden scapegoat huddersfield
« on: Friday 08 January 16 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Wonder if anybody out there can help please?
About to buy something that came from "a Georgian manor house overlooking the M62 in Huddersfield." The house was demolished around 2000 to make way for a new housing development. I've been told the house was called Brook(e) way or brock way and was near Outlane. The seller can't tell me anything more, but as I come from Huddersfield myself I would like to locate this house if possible.
Does anybody out there recognise the name (or variation of it) and can you tell me
a) location
b) have any photos or tell me where to find them?
Very many thanks in advance

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: demolished georgian house outlane scammonden scapegoat huddersfield
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 January 16 11:29 GMT (UK) »
 The only old house that I know of (With Brook in the name) where there are now new modern houses that overlooked the M62 motorway was Brookfield house on New Hey Road about 100 yards or metres below 'Round Ings road' going towards 'Outlane roundabout' on the right. Opposite the Commecial pub
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 January 16 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. Having studied this on google maps it certainly seems to fit the bill. Will see if I can find it on the census now - get a bit more info as to its size.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 January 16 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Is this the right area dobfam?
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=53.6601&lon=-1.8646&layers=171&right=BingHyb

(I can't see it named on this map but maybe someone else can)
[map is scrollable]

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 January 16 14:40 GMT (UK) »
That's a BRILLIANT map!!! Doesn't show what we're looking for (named) but very useful for all sorts of applications nevertheless!!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 January 16 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Glad you like it.

They are fabulous maps. You can scroll, and use your cursor to pinpoint streets and other features to compare the old with the new.

There is the option to select different maps from the top left but the one I linked to has the most detail. You often find farms and other buildings marked on the maps but sadly not in this case. It is possible that more detailed maps of the area exist, possibly at a local library.  :-\

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 January 16 00:21 GMT (UK) »
From memory I was wrong- Brookfield house is above Round ings road (heading towards Rochdale  on New Hey road) just below Wholestone hill (Now a quarry)

http://maps.nls.uk/view/102345043

in link-

Right margin on map page link above ( 3/4  down map) - look for ending word in the margin  - ngwood (small bold letters) - the beginning of 'Longwood' of larger letters LO [/ size] are in the map---------> = LO[/size large ]--ngwood (smaller in the margin)

Under the large letters LO slightly left in the map is -----Huddersfield and New Hey Trust ( turnpike road)

Under the letter T in the word Trust is Brookfield house

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 January 16 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dob, I see it now. It's not marked on the NLS map I provided a link to, but I did find the approximate location.

Comparing it to a modern map, the problem is that it is not a housing estate. In fact the area is not built  up at all.

So I am now wondering if Brookfield House is not the right house. It could be that either the name "brook-something" was wrong, or the information about it being demolished for a housing estate was wrong. :-\

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 January 16 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear! I see what you mean! Perhaps I will have to go back to the original source and see if any further light can be shed on this. In the meantime I'd like to thank everybody for their input - it is much appreciated!