Author Topic: Getting confused over Liverpool Road/Street, Auckland - Can you help?  (Read 17114 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: Street addresses & numbering
« Reply #81 on: Thursday 28 January 16 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Re address numbering.

This link takes you to an explanation about the evolution of street numbering and how it has evolved in many countries, and why there are so many exceptions.

As can be seen from this threads discussion, there were many hamlets and smaller boroughs, where it was not seen as necessary to give a street number in correspondence, nor in addresses published in newspapers, until the housing or business in a given area intensified.

The NZ adoption of the RAPID system of numbering of rural / country properties was not introduced until emergency call centres were consolidated into a very limited number throughout the greater REGIONS.  In my case I have four fire brigade stations within ten/ twelve miles of us and three Ambulance stations manned 27/4 yet when I make an emergency, call it is now answered over 100 km away, and if they are busy it is answered 600 km away. Every chance then that any local knowledge the operator has, is what pops up on their computer screen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_numbering

- Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
Re: Getting confused over Liverpool Road/Street, Auckland - Can you help?
« Reply #82 on: Thursday 28 January 16 20:25 GMT (UK) »

The NZ adoption of the RAPID system of numbering of rural / country properties was not introduced until emergency call centres were consolidated into a very limited number throughout the greater REGIONS.  In my case I have four fire brigade stations within ten/ twelve miles of us and three Ambulance stations manned 27/4 yet when I make an emergency, call it is now answered over 100 km away, and if they are busy it is answered 600 km away. Every chance then that any local knowledge the operator has, is what pops up on their computer screen.

- Alan.

Just to add a little bit to the above, before the RAPID numbering came in, and if there was an accident near our place, we would tell the operator to tell our Fire Brigade/Police that it was outside our place, as they knew us, as you do when you are Rural.  So when the RAPID numbering came in, and say our number was 181, that meant we were 1.81 k's from the beginning of the road.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Thursday 28 January 16 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Yes KHP, at the risk of running away with Girl guide's thread. As you possibly know I'm on land which my family came to in 1905, and the mail had always got through. with just a road name. However in more recent times, even with the RAPID system of numbering road egresses, our local phone exchange bore the name of the community we live in, the postal service was from the closest railway stop, yet demographically, there were about four properties on our side of a meandering road [historically following the high, dryer land to navigate] that were dumped in with all the residents of the opposite side of the long arterial road. So for voting purposes, in local body elections, and some times National Electorates, we had to by-pass the local polling booth and travel miles to "our" electorates nearest polling booth. Also adding to the confusion, historically dairy farm shareholder suppliers were issued a supply number [displayed at farm gate] that was often quoted to tradesmen and carriers. With competing dairy companies there appeared to be no logic in numbers displayed as you drove down a rural road.

Now days dial 111 [our emergency service] tell them the rapid number and road name, and they whish to confirm you are a resident of XXX village or area. Your first reaction is to want to scream WE ARE NOT, thinking they are looking at a similar sounding area in the South Island. I got quite frustrated with the service operator 100 km away, quite recently, when a daughter knocked herself out on an item of farm machinery.

Cheers.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Friday 05 February 16 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Because this thread is now so long, I am not sure if this particular piece of information has already been mentioned.

Auckland Council has a website where you can view streets and houses with their numbers back to 1940.

Girl Guide, you may be interested to see what the area looked like back then.

Known as Auckland Council GIS Viewer, it can be found here......

http://maps.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/aucklandcouncilviewer/

Enter 25 Tahi Terrace when searching.

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Saturday 06 February 16 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Minnehaha.

It has not been mentioned previously, and had I known about the availability of this service online to joe public, it would have saved several pages of guess work on my part, trying to trace the development of Liverpool Street through to it's renaming as Tahi Terrace. Plus other West Auckland properties.

Having access to this from my home, will help with other pioneering heritage projects I have on the go, re  our early greater Auckland forebears.

Flat out catching up with farm chores in the hope that I will soon be able to return to West Auckland with my camera, and get some close up shots of what a 1920's NZ wooden home looked like. From Girl Guides comments, she is only accustomed to UK domestic housing constructed with more solid building materials.

Thanks.

- Alan.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Saturday 06 February 16 01:18 GMT (UK) »
I only found out about the website yesterday. Pleased you can put it to good use Alan........

Minniehaha.

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Minnie

Thanks for the link to the maps.  I did have a go on it but got lost in the mire of how to use it.  Never got anywhere near the 1940 date that you mentioned.

Ho hum....the delights of middle age!
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Back to reply # 84.......

1.Open GIS viewer.
2.Accept terms.
3.Enter address, box top right.
4.Go to the vertical slider to the left top of the screen to magnify.
5.Go to tools (top left, 3rd from left, block shape), to choose Historical Aerial Photography.
6.Use slider bottom right of screen for the years; 2010 to 1940.

Fingers crossed.  :)

Minniehaha.

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Minnie, I've got somewhere now.  Certainly different in 1940 to present day.  A pity that the higher up the magnification scale you go the focus gets blurred instead of sharper.  But never mind I'm looking at Walter's house as it was just two years after he died.  His widow would still be living there as she didn't die until 1944.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire