Author Topic: Loughborough Zeppelin raid WW1  (Read 1228 times)

Offline spark

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Loughborough Zeppelin raid WW1
« on: Friday 08 January 16 18:11 GMT (UK) »
http://www.loughboroughecho.net/news/local-news/bid-find-living-relatives-those-10703593

Loughborough Echo are keen to trace descendant relatives of Loughborough Zeppelin raid casualities
Commons -  Whitwick/USA/Galway
Concannon - Whitwick
Costello - Ireland
Wardle - Whitwick/Packington
Clarke - Whitwick
Lockwood - Barrow upon Soar
Bull - Whitwick/little Staughton
Moult - Coelorton
Glover - Wymeswold
Vellacott - Exmoor
Thorne - Exmoor

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Loughborough Zeppelin raid WW1
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 January 16 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Fortunately my family had a very narrow escape.  My GG Grandmother lived at 14 The Rushes.   Annie Adcock of 13 The Rushes was killed, and James Stenson who was staying at Gray's Lodging House, which I believe was at 15 & 16 The Rushes, was injured. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline AndyKB

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 17:33 GMT (UK) »
I am the writer who is working on a community play about the attack that will take place in the town on the weekend of May 14th and 15th. I wonder if you could tell me more about your great great grandmothers story; either here or by emailing me at (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Have emailed you  :)
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 February 16 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Dear Sir/ Madam
Iam Steven Woolman
I live in Markfield lane Newtown linford  my gran was Vera Elizabeth page born 1913 whitwick father Herbert page born 1872 Ruddington Notts .he came to live in whitwick St Mary's terr were my gran was born her mother was Elizabeth Ann walker dau of Joseph walker  mother Ann walker ( hurst) she married Herbert page in 1895 they they had my gran  her sister Elsie Sarah page 1899 ,Harriett page ,Herbert father was Thomas page  his wife was Hannah page .i have a picture of the Zeppelin raid on Loughborough with names under it Elsie page ,Joseph Frederick page ,Mary Ann page ,plus there's was Anne Adcock

Alice Elizabeth  Adkin
Josiiah Gilbert
Ethel Alice  Higgs
Martha  shipman
Arthur Christian Turnall
Joseph Williamson Adkin
Mary Ann page
So my grans family were involved in it as well
Thanks
Steveit gives some information about how old some of them were Elsie was sixteen ,Martha  shipman 50 years old  Arthur was 51 years old .the above victims were the only Loughborough  civilians  killed  by the air raid .lower down the page it says that it was seen over Elliston colliery that's were my mothers father worked Ernest cooper  born Ashby Road markfield  .it says the German sailors were blown off course and thought they were attacking Sheffield or Liverpool.it says Loughborough was attacked because black out precautions hadn't been taken and lights could be easily seen at the munitions factory on the empress Road.micheal kendrick who did the Coalville famous fifty says a niece of Charles Hatter saw on the night .he is my cousion .