Author Topic: James Hogg (c1811 - c1844) & Ann Hogg (m/s Robinson) c1818 - c1887) Gateshead  (Read 10270 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: James Hogg (c1811 - c1844) & Ann Hogg (m/s Robinson) c1818 - c1887) Gateshead
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Worth considering? date a bit early  :-\

Baptism Gateshead St Mary, 27 June 1813, Ann daughter of Thomas Robinson and and Eleanor Mills, of Gateshead, father's occupation silversmith.

Jen,

That does look good & as Ann's hubby James was b c1811 this would work out as census records can be out quite a bit & also father's occ. fits well.

Pity with all the middle names, none were Mills which would have been a good indicator.

I have a feeling there may have been births/stillbirths/miscarriages between David's son Thomas 1867 & next born John William c1872 (from census)?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Hogg (c1811 - c1844) & Ann Hogg (m/s Robinson) c1818 - c1887) Gateshead
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The couple which Jen B found, Thomas Robinson and Eleanor Mills had a number of other children:
Jane christened 1 Aug 1802
Mary 26 Feb 1804
Margaret 25 Dec 1805
Eleanor 30 Sept 1810
All the above are on the bt's and name Thomas Robinson as a silversmith and Eleanor Mills as the daughter of Thomas Mills of Lowick, Northumberland.
Also
John 14 Dec 1815
Isabella 10 Sept 1820. Mother's surname not given but father Thomas Robinson is a silver smith and names do fit with the 1841 census.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Just did a speculative google search for Thomas Robinson, silversmith, Gateshead and found the following
... was the son of Thomas Robinson - a Gateshead blacksmith He was apprenticed to Robert Scott II for seven years from 6 Aug 1791. Robert Scott died 1893 and Thomas continued his training under Thomas Walton and upon completion of his term is thought to have continued as a journeyman for Walton until setting up business on his own account at Oakwellgate, High Street. Gateshead in 1826.
Although Thomas Robinsons career on his own account was fairly long at twenty years (1826 - 1846), he only had 1400 ounces assayed during that period

He died 1 June 1853 at Oakwellgate aged 77. He served as warden to the Newcastle company on two occasions 1833/34 and 1842/ 43.

The above is from a silver forum which is the first "hit" if you do the google search for him - there are also lovely photos of his work.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks William,

A lot of info. from you & Jen.

Good reading/info. there.....interesting!!!

I hadn't started researching back from James & Ann as I have been searching for James' death for many yrs.

Put on the back burner until now as there is so much more regarding newspapers to be had online.

I wouldn't doubt that this is the correct Robinson family.

Worth considering? date a bit early  :-\

Baptism Gateshead St Mary, 27 June 1813, Ann daughter of Thomas Robinson and and Eleanor Mills, of Gateshead, father's occupation silversmith.

Jen,

Do you have a source for this please?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Annie, your old post here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=647483.0 I think might help in terms of names maybe...

Do you know what happened to eldest son, brother to David Morris, John Hogg who married Mary Murray?

Notice from the list on the old post something in this name...

David:

1st Mary Ann (her mother & M g/mother were Mary & P g/mother ANN ROBINSON)
2nd Ellen Robson (Ellen is a mystery at the moment but ROBSON may be contender MARY  ROBSON)?
3rd Wilhelmina (her M g/dad was William & P gg/dad WILLIAM ROBSON)
4th John William (his P gg/dad may have been John Hogg & M g/dad was William)
5th Thomas (P gg/dad was THOMAS ROBINSON)
6th James JEFFREY (P g/dad James but Jeffrey a mystery at the moment although interesting as the name JEFFREY has surfaced twice within the siblings)?
7th Margaret Allen (mother’s mid name Margaret & Allen M g/mother’s maiden name)
8th (& last) HAROLD JEFFREY (have never found a connection with either name to date)

Could the second born to David above be the Eleanor Robinson we are discussing? Robson/Robinson, Ellen/Eleanor....as we know, all in the variants  ;)

Monica

Added: Let's also remember she could be a sister or some other relation too...
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 19:44 GMT (UK) »
William,

Pity I can't claim to have been "born with a silver spoon in my mouth"  ;D

Such a coincidence too with surname Scott as my aunt recalls a relative of my grandmother by same surname. I wonder if this woman was descended from the same family  ???

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Annie, your old post here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=647483.0 I think might help in terms of names maybe...

Do you know what happened to eldest son, brother to David Morris, John Hogg who married Mary Murray?

Notice from the list on the old post something in this name...

David:

1st Mary Ann (her mother & M g/mother were Mary & P g/mother ANN ROBINSON)
2nd Ellen Robson (Ellen is a mystery at the moment but ROBSON may be contender MARY  ROBSON)?
3rd Wilhelmina (her M g/dad was William & P gg/dad WILLIAM ROBSON)
4th John William (his P gg/dad may have been John Hogg & M g/dad was William)
5th Thomas (P gg/dad was THOMAS ROBINSON)
6th James JEFFREY (P g/dad James but Jeffrey a mystery at the moment although interesting as the name JEFFREY has surfaced twice within the siblings)?
7th Margaret Allen (mother’s mid name Margaret & Allen M g/mother’s maiden name)
8th (& last) HAROLD JEFFREY (have never found a connection with either name to date)

Could the second born to David above be the Eleanor Robinson we are discussing? Robson/Robinson, Ellen/Eleanor....as we know, all in the variants  ;)

Monica

Added: Let's also remember she could be a sister or some other relation too...

Monica,

Things have deviated from my original request for an obituary for James (or Ann)

Eleanor in this thread is who I thought to be Ann Robinson's mother & is looking to be just that.

David's daughter Eleanor Robinson has variations of name on census such as Ellen Robson but I know who she is  ;D

David's brother John........was in contact with a woman at the beginning of the year who sent me her email address & when all my emails were deleted....I lost it.

As I'm back on the trail for this family, I will need to try & find where this woman 1st got in contact.

It seems not RC (I've checked my messages) so possibly Ancestry which I need to search.

She is descended from John.

Tbh, for the moment I would love confirmation of where/when James died?

I would also like to find out who his parents were.

Going by 1841 census he was b Kincardine.

Annie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Annie, speed reading has many benefits doesn't it...except when you miss chunks of info! Just reread last few pages and seen JenB's 1851 census entry with grandson John Hogg with grandparents, Thomas and Eleanor Robinson  :D Great result for sure!

As you say though, original quest for James Hogg's roots (father John ) continues... Can I ask, from the marriage of James Hogg to Ann Robinson, was father showing as John? Any occupation?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Monica,

I don't have the actual marriage for James & Ann.

It is on genuki.cs.ncl & from the info. from my contact a yr ago.

I have not been able to locate it online to send for it

I have just looked on Ancestry but it's not through that where the woman contacted me.

Could kick myself for not adding the email address at the time as I don't know where she contacted me from but it was definitely via an email notification from a site.

I have the 1851 census info. for John but at the time of my old post I wasn't too sure if this was my John.
I haven't researched that line, just the info. from the contact who is a descendant.

Annie