Author Topic: James Hogg (c1811 - c1844) & Ann Hogg (m/s Robinson) c1818 - c1887) Gateshead  (Read 10319 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Hogg (c1811 - c1844) & Ann Hogg (m/s Robinson) c1818 - c1887) Gateshead
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 January 16 14:55 GMT (UK) »
My thoughts exactly, JenB.   1841 Census shows that James, like the children, was born in Kincardineshire and as Ann born in England would make far more sense that he died there and she then returned home to Gateshead.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Hogg (c1811 - c1844) & Ann Hogg (m/s Robinson) c1818 - c1887) Gateshead
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 January 16 14:56 GMT (UK) »
1861, at Shop (sic), High St, Gateshead, a Provision Dealer

Just adding in that she is also a provision dealer in Gateshead High Street in 1871.
In this census her son's name is written on the original page as Marricuce Hogg  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 January 16 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi JenB, have been looking for James Hogg (with wildcards for spelling variations) in the Old Parish Registers there. Death year pre the start of official registration in Scotland, if he died there. Couldn't easily see anything for him so far, but the OPRs are so patchy at this time, particularly for deaths & burials, the least well recorded of all  :-\

Great leads there to a possible death for wife Ann Robinson, later in 1889  :)

William, from the parish entry for the marriage, wonder how the Eleanor Robinson connects...maybe a clue to Ann's family members. From your ref to witnesses, and a George Old, there is a George Old 40, a victualler (I think) and his wife Margaret living at Duke Street Tynemouth in 1841, a possible for him.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 January 16 03:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks folks for interest & help.

I know I have the correct family re Kincardine etc.

1861, at Shop (sic), High St, Gateshead, a Provision Dealer

Just adding in that she is also a provision dealer in Gateshead High Street in 1871.
In this census her son's name is written on the original page as Marricuce Hogg  :D

If it helps for newspaper info. the address is 163 High St, Gateshead.

David Morris (variants) was a Joiner.

Is it not possible that James died in Scotland and then Ann returned to live in Gateshead?

Yes Jen,

It's looking like that but like Monica, I couldn't find him & that's the problem as I don't know where he died?

Far more likely is the death in the 2nd quarter of 1889, Ann Hogg aged 72.

Thanks Jen,

That looks another definite too, address ties in below.

The free index to Durham Records Online gives the abode at time of death as 24 Ellison Street, Gateshead.

A search of the 1891 census shows the occupant of that address to be David Morris Hogg born Scotland in 1841. This surely has to be Ann's son.
[/quote]

Yes, this is my family but I would be interested in newspaper articles regarding obituaries &/or things relating to their occupations.

The free index to Durham Records Online indicates that the James who died in 1844 was only 5 years old. http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/NewSearch.php
[/quote]

Jen,

That's the DC I have which was wrong as I was looking for James Hogg death 1841 - 1851.

However, this may well turn out to be a relative & for the purpose of anyone looking for "Hogg" info.....

Poor wee James Hogg d 01 Feb 1844 aged 5yrs, Felling, Heworth, Gateshead
Parents John Hogg (Mason) & wife Margaret.

Hi

Just in case you have not seen it the marriage of James Hogg and Ann Robinson in Tynemouth 14 May 1834 is image 569 in the Bishop of Durham Transcripts for that parish. Marriage was by banns and they are both said to be of that parish Witnesses were Eleanor Robinson and George Old .

William

Thanks William, the name Eleanor features in my 2 x g g/father David Morris' kids names.

He & wife Mary Margaret Duff had 8 kids.

1st born Mary Ann 1861 Aft MIL Mary & his mother Ann?

2nd born Eleanor Robinson 1863

Can add more if anyone has an interest or potential connection.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Great leads there to a possible death for wife Ann Robinson, later in 1889 :)

William, from the parish entry for the marriage, wonder how the Eleanor Robinson connects...maybe a clue to Ann's family members. From your ref to witnesses, and a George Old, there is a George Old 40, a victualler (I think) and his wife Margaret living at Duke Street Tynemouth in 1841, a possible for him.

Monica

Thanks folks,

The death for Ann 1889 looks definite as everything ties in.....name, address & son David Morris.

I wonder if Eleanor was Ann's mother?

I have a note in my tree where I found a Thomas Robinson on 1851 in Gateshead (Silversmith).

I probably found it on Ancestry when I had a sub? I can't see it on freecen but I assume he must have been a widower as I have a ? next to him but no name for a wife.

This is the names of children to David & wife Mary Margaret Duff (all b Durham)

Mary Ann 1861 - (M M's mother was Mary/David's mother Ann)
Eleanor Robinson 1863 - (could this be David's g/mother with mother's m/s)?
Wilhelmina 1865 - (MM's father was William)
Thomas 1867 - (could this be David's g/father)?
John William c1872 - (MM's g/father was John & her father was William)
James Jeffrey 1873 - (David's father James but yet to find the name Jeffrey)?
Margaret Allen1876 - (MM's g/mother Margaret & her mother's m/s Allan)
Harold Jeffrey 1879 - (have found no link with either name yet)?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 16:52 GMT (UK) »
I have a note in my tree where I found a Thomas Robinson on 1851 in Gateshead (Silversmith).

HO 107 / 2404 / 716 / 2

Oakwellgate Chare, Gateshead

Thomas Robinson, head, widower, 73, silver smith, Durham Gateshead
John Hogg, grandson, 14, shop boy, Scotland, Stonehaven

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 17:02 GMT (UK) »
1841 census

HO 107 / 296 / 18 / 3 / 1

Thomas Robinson, 60, silver smith Y
Eleanor do, 60 Y
John Robinson 25 ? Cabinetm[aker] J[ourneyman] Y
Isabella do, 20 Y

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Worth considering? date a bit early  :-\

Baptism Gateshead St Mary, 27 June 1813, Ann daughter of Thomas Robinson and and Eleanor Mills, of Gateshead, father's occupation silversmith.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 17:33 GMT (UK) »
1841 census

HO 107 / 296 / 18 / 3 / 1

Thomas Robinson, 60, silver smith Y
Eleanor do, 60 Y
John Robinson 25 ? Cabinetm[aker] J[ourneyman] Y
Isabella do, 20 Y

Thanks Jen,

That looks to be my thought with Eleanor being Ann's mother.

HO 107 / 2404 / 716 / 2

Thomas Robinson, head, widower, 73, silver smith, Durham Gateshead
John Hogg, grandson, 14, shop boy, Scotland, Stonehaven

That's the one I found...so he was a widower.

Sometimes I write things, thinking I will remember.

I found g/son John (David's brother) on 1861 as a Watchmaker.
He married Ann Murray 1858.

I need to find what the name of the local paper was in Fetteresso, Stonehaven to see if there was an obit for James.

I have no idea who his parents were. 1st son John could be a clue but the name David was not popular so don't know where that originated as there is no other David throughout the line nor the name Morris?

Annie