Author Topic: MURRAY brick wall  (Read 2479 times)

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MURRAY brick wall
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
     Marriage for Janet Turnbull & John Murray, 19th Nov 1843 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire. (ScotlandsPeople)
     Does William's Death Certificate give his occupation? Might help find him 1841/51 if it does.
               Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 04:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm assuming they probably married somewhere close to Stirling, as Janet was born in Bannockburn and her parents and siblings are at St Ninian's in 1841 and 1851 - and John and Janet's youngest children were baptised in Airdrie, which isn't a million miles away...

Hi Ruth,

The distance from Stirling to Airdrie is approx. 20 Mls which in those days was a fair trek & probably over hills etc.......no roads?  ;)

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 09:18 GMT (UK) »
The distance from Stirling to Airdrie is approx. 20 Mls which in those days was a fair trek & probably over hills etc.......no roads?  ;)

Wouldn't discount it. I once walked over 30 miles in a day (probably couldn't do it now :( ) and it's only nine miles from Airdrie to Slamannan, which is in Stirlingshire. The maximum height of the land in that area is around 250 metres above sea level, so there aren't any major hills, though there are some pretty exposed stretches or moor and bog that you wouldn't want to walk across in a blizzard. There were roads according to the Ordnance Survey map dated 1859.

I have a lot of families in my tree who seem to have moved around between New Monkland, Slamannan, Falkirk and Cumbernauld.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Marriage for Janet Turnbull & John Murray, 19th Nov 1843 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire. (ScotlandsPeople)

Good work - don't know why that one wasn't coming up on Family Search. That date works well with the first child being born in September 1844, so I think this must be our couple.

I wasn't looking for either of them in Glasgow in 1841 - more elsewhere in Lanarkshire or in Stirlingshire, so that gives another avenue to try and find them in 1841 - although previous experience with the 1841 census data for Glasgow leads me to believe it might still be a bit tricky...  ;D

Does William's Death Certificate give his occupation? Might help find him 1841/51 if it does.

I don't have William's death cert, although I think annecannes must have, as it's referenced in the original post. In the register entry for John's death in 1901, his father William's occupation is given as 'farm grieve'.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline annecannes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the input - some I know and some is new which I shall follow up. William Murray died 8th April 1861 age 82 at Firhill Farm, Maryhill. His occupation was General labourer and the death was registered by his son John - who unfortunately did not seem to know anything about his father's parents!  It would be brilliant if I could track William's siblings but there are a number of William Murrays in the time frame and without any idea about parents or place of birth there is nowhere to start! Unfortunately the Inveraray Argylleshire mentioned in the 1861 Census does not come up for any of the William Murray births (that I have found)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 January 16 14:15 GMT (UK) »
No joy tracking down the elusive William, I'm afraid - but following the son, John, it looks to me like the family were members of the Free Church, which will make finding any trace of them in the parish records before 1855 a bit tricky, as Scotland's People only indexes pre-1855 parish records from the established Church of Scotland.

As the Free Church of Scotland only came into existence in 1843 it has no bearing on the availability of records before 1843.

The reason why SP only indexes the registers of the Church of Scotland is that these are the only registers owned by the General Register Office for Scotland. At the start of civil registration in 1855, the existing C of S registers were called in and stored centrally in Edinburgh. However, for some reason with which I am not conversant, the legislation empowering the GROS to gather the CoS records did not extend to the registers of the Roman Catholic, Episcopalian, Free, Baptist, Congregational and assorted other churches.

Some of these have since found their way into the National Archives of Scotland, and can be located in the catalogue with reference starting CH3/.
See http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx

Now that GROS and NAS have been amalgamated to form the National Records of Scotland, SP would like to add the CH3 information to the index, but I understand that some of the churches whose records are in CH3 have refused to allow this to be done. Many of these registers can, however, be consulted in the Historical Search Room in Edinburgh and certain local archives.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.