Author Topic: Can't read the townland help please.  (Read 1429 times)

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can't read the townland help please.
« on: Saturday 09 January 16 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Can anyone make out the mothers townland please. Its The Ballagh register 2nd entry down on the right hand page. I know John  the son was born in Iskabeg not 100%about his dad but I did know he lived there he may have been born in Oylgate. I have no evidence of where Catherine was from so I would really love to read the townland it too may be Oylgate.
The parents are my GGGrandparents on other records I have the townland is not given.

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634002#page/3/mode/1up

Thanks
M
Roche Wexford/USA
Sinnott 2 families Ardcavan Wexford/USA and Boolaboy.
Cullen Ballyknockan  Wexford/ USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can't read the townland help please.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 January 16 02:28 GMT (UK) »
The words both above and below Iskabeg appear to say Johnstown (to my eye). Katharine.

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 January 16 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Katherine,

Yes, I also think both look alike and now that you suggest it it does look like Johnstown to me too. Its not a townland I am familiar with around the Ballagh maybe its in Oylgate. I will research.

Thanks again
M
Roche Wexford/USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline moguemosey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 January 16 00:24 GMT (UK) »
It may not be an address, but the name of the Priest. Looking at the full page it seems to show the name of the Priest on the lower entries.

Mogue.
All in County Wexford
Breslin/Breslawn: Monaseed
Burke: Monamolin.
Byrne: Ballycanew.
Cullimore: Killurin.
Dempsey: North Co.Wexford
Doyle: Horetown.
Doyle: Killurin.
Doyle: Newbawn.
Fardy: Killurin.
Kinsella: Ballycanew.
Kinsella: Killenagh.
Kinsella: Monamolin.
Larkin: Killurin.
Lumsden: All Wexford
Moran: Adamstown.
Moran: Killurin.
Mythen: Oulart.
Ryan: Killurin.
Swords: Monamolin.
Tee/Tighe: Coolafancy, Co. Wicklow.
Tighe/Tee Monaseed.
Wafer: Ballygarrett/Monamolin

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 January 16 18:53 GMT (UK) »
It may not be an address, but the name of the Priest. Looking at the full page it seems to show the name of the Priest on the lower entries.

Mogue.

I would agree with Mogue, that it is the name of the officiating priest, namely John ....? A second point is that the address given in some registers at least, is that of the bride, not the groom.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 January 16 19:27 GMT (UK) »
The Priest has my vote too. Sadly, the writing is very difficult to read.
When you look at various entries, it looks as though some are signed JDH (perhaps) and others maybe J D Hare/Hara or similar. This one does look like John .... though ???
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 January 16 20:24 GMT (UK) »
For the OP: by far your best course of action would be to obtain a copy of the civil registration record for this marriage. That will provide not only addresses for the bride and groom, but also their father's names and occupations.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 January 16 20:52 GMT (UK) »

Mogue.

I would agree with Mogue, that it is the name of the officiating priest, namely John ....? A second point is that the address given in some registers at least, is that of the bride, not the groom.

Thanks Mogue and Wexflyer. Looking again I have to agree that it must be the priest. I have looked at these lots of times and wondered why I have never noticed the "2nd townland" the actual townland is known to me to be where they lived. Foolish of me not to spot that its the priests name. 

Thanks for the help.
M
Roche Wexford/USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 January 16 21:09 GMT (UK) »
For the OP: by far your best course of action would be to obtain a copy of the civil registration record for this marriage. That will provide not only addresses for the bride and groom, but also their father's names and occupations.

Thanks for the advice that is for sure what I need unfortunately that child was one or their last they started in 1864 or maybe before as I have one child who's birth I have not managed to spot yet and she may be older in any case they married before civil registration. I may have one last hope, my Uncle has some old photos and memory cards that came from that household via my great grandmother but when I looked at them 2/3 years ago I knew even less than I do now so perhaps fresh eyes on them may be a good idea I may get a clue who knows!
M
Roche Wexford/USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary