Author Topic: Marriage/Maiden Name  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Tucker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage/Maiden Name
« on: Saturday 09 January 16 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I don't have much information to go on but I am hoping someone can help me find a marriage & maiden name for Robert George Tucker (born Netherbury 1801-2) to Sarah (surname unknown) born 1802-6 in Walditch.

The marriage would have been in the 1820s. Sarah's maiden name may possibly have been Adams but not sure on this.

It seem the two eldest children were born in Netherbury, 1828-1832 then others in Marshwood Whitchurch Uplyme

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
                                                                                                   Brian
Tucker, (Dorset Devon)
Hall, (Dorset)
Sherwood, (Dorset Hampshire)
Tollerfield, (Dorset)
Walbridge, (Dorset)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage/Maiden Name
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 January 16 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is your man but on Family Search

Robert Tucker
mentioned in the record of Robert Tucker and Sarah Adames
Name    Robert Tucker
Spouse's Name    Sarah Adames
Event Date    12 Oct 1824
Event Place    Winterborne-Zelstone, Dorset, England

Don't know if you have this but on Family Search birth for Eliza
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:ND2H-KJ2
Sarah
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N27F-V3L
Alfred
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NDGB-DZH
Jane
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NYH5-BBZ

Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Tucker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 January 16 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you 3sillydogs I wil try looking into this.
                                                                   Brian
Tucker, (Dorset Devon)
Hall, (Dorset)
Tollerfield, (Dorset)
Walbridge, (Dorset)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 January 16 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Banns were read at Fontmell Magna for Robert Tucker otp and Sarah Adams of the parish of Winterborne on 26 September, 3 October and 10 October 1824.
Robert Tucker of Great Fontmell and Sarah Adams otp were married 12 October at Winterborne Zelstone.  Sarah signs, Robert makes his mark.  Witnesses are Thomas Addames and John Squire ( a frequent witness at this church)

Baptisms of children of Robert (George) and Sarah Tucker:

Sarah 17 July 1831 at Netherbury. Address, Netherbury. Robert is a yeoman
Jane 1 August 1832 at Whitechurch Canonicorum. Address, Marshwood. Robert is a farmer.
Alfred 20 December 1833 at Whitechurch Canonicorum. Address, Marshwood. Robert is a farmer
Jane*, Rhoda and Walter 30 June 1837 at Whitechurch Canonicorum. Address, Marshwood. Robert George is a farmer.
Eliza 14 February 1840 at Netherbury. Address, Whitechurch. Robert is a yeoman.
George 1 August 1840 at Whitechurch Canonicorum. Address, Whitechurch. Robert George is a farmer.

I can't see a burial of the earlier Jane.
There don't seem to be any children of Robert and Sarah Tucker baptised at Fontmell Magna or at Winterborne.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 January 16 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Fontmell Magna and Winterborne Zelston seem to be a bit of a distance from Netherbury and Walditch. Also in 1841 there is a couple named Robert and Sarah Tucker recorded in Fontmell Magna, so I am inclined to think that the marriage to Sarah Adams is perhaps not the one you are looking for.

I notice that in 1841 and 1851 Robert George and Sarah Tucker have an older daughter named Selina, born c1828 in Netherbury.  As there is no obvious baptism of a Selina Tucker in Netherbury, is she perhaps Selina  d/o Sarah Durnford, baptised there 16 March 1828?

Offline Tucker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 January 16 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Banns were read at Fontmell Magna for Robert Tucker otp and Sarah Adams of the parish of Winterborne on 26 September, 3 October and 10 October 1824.
Robert Tucker of Great Fontmell and Sarah Adams otp were married 12 October at Winterborne Zelstone.  Sarah signs, Robert makes his mark.  Witnesses are Thomas Addames and John Squire ( a frequent witness at this church)

Baptisms of children of Robert (George) and Sarah Tucker:

Sarah 17 July 1831 at Netherbury. Address, Netherbury. Robert is a yeoman
Jane 1 August 1832 at Whitechurch Canonicorum. Address, Marshwood. Robert is a farmer.
Alfred 20 December 1833 at Whitechurch Canonicorum. Address, Marshwood. Robert is a farmer
Jane*, Rhoda and Walter 30 June 1837 at Whitechurch Canonicorum. Address, Marshwood. Robert George is a farmer.
Eliza 14 February 1840 at Netherbury. Address, Whitechurch. Robert is a yeoman.
George 1 August 1840 at Whitechurch Canonicorum. Address, Whitechurch. Robert George is a farmer.

I can't see a burial of the earlier Jane.
There don't seem to be any children of Robert and Sarah Tucker baptised at Fontmell Magna or at Winterborne.

Thank you for you input.
Tucker, (Dorset Devon)
Hall, (Dorset)
Tollerfield, (Dorset)
Walbridge, (Dorset)

Offline Tucker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 January 16 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Fontmell Magna and Winterborne Zelston seem to be a bit of a distance from Netherbury and Walditch. Also in 1841 there is a couple named Robert and Sarah Tucker recorded in Fontmell Magna, so I am inclined to think that the marriage to Sarah Adams is perhaps not the one you are looking for.

I notice that in 1841 and 1851 Robert George and Sarah Tucker have an older daughter named Selina, born c1828 in Netherbury.  As there is no obvious baptism of a Selina Tucker in Netherbury, is she perhaps Selina  d/o Sarah Durnford, baptised there 16 March 1828?

Im thinking on the same lines as you now ive seen Sarah Durnford and Selina, all I need to do is try to find a marriage to link the two together.
Tucker, (Dorset Devon)
Hall, (Dorset)
Tollerfield, (Dorset)
Walbridge, (Dorset)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 January 16 15:21 GMT (UK) »
There is no marriage of Robert Tucker and Sarah showing in the registers of Netherbury, Whitechurch Canonicorum, or Walditch during the years 1828-1832. 
I would suggest that you bought a birth certificate for one of the three children born after 1837, which would give Sarah's maiden name, only I'm not sure that any of them were registered.

However, there is a baptism of  a Sarah  d/o James and Mary Darnford at Walditch on 4 May 1806, which would tally with Sarah's age and birthplace as reported in censuses. 
This couple also baptised a son named John at Walditch in 1809.
A John Durnford married Ann Gale at Netherbury in 1829.