Author Topic: John Thomas McCLELLAND  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Anne Whitten

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Thomas McCLELLAND
« on: Saturday 09 January 16 10:57 GMT (UK) »
McClelland  John Thomas

MY great great grandfather was McClelland  John Thomas who married Mary Walker in Rostrevor on 17 May 1866.
John and Mary lived in Warrenpoint where he was listed                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           in the traders of Warrenpoint in 1877 as a coachbuilder living  in  Newry Street.
However it appears he was born in New York around 1840.  I do not know the name of his mother and think his father was a James Mc Clelland.  I am keen to know :-
1.   How/why/when the family went to New York.
2.   How /why/when some or all of them returned to Ireland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Thomas McCLELLAND
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 January 16 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Most likely reason for leaving Ireland was employment opportunities and most likely reasons for returning were family ties/problems/deaths or ill health but you may never find out exactly what happened unless details or snippets have been passed down through the family.

For reference-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Warrenpoint/Newry_Street/1251186

Will Extract from PRONI- Administration of the Estate of John Thomas McClelland late of Warrenpoint County Down Coach Builder who died 17 December 1907 granted at Belfast to Mary McClelland the Widow.

I do not know the name of his mother and think his father was a James Mc Clelland.
Is father's name and occupation not listed on marriage certificate?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 January 16 14:22 GMT (UK) »

Offline Anne Whitten

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 January 16 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your replies to my query regarding the family of John Thomas McCLELLAND --- much appreciated.

I know from his marriage  cert. that his father was called James who was recorded as  a tradesman but nothing was  recorded about his mother.–any ideas?

Is there any way of finding out how and when James and his wife (name unkown) emigrated to presumably New York?                          >

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 January 16 10:25 GMT (UK) »
You could join this site and search but there are lots of James McClellands, so I don't know how you would find yours?

http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/

If "John Thomas McCLELLAND" was born in New York, maybe you should still be searching in America for a birth entry to see if his mother is named
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 January 16 10:44 GMT (UK) »
You could join this site and search but there are lots of James McClellands, so I don't know how you would find yours?

http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/

If "John Thomas McCLELLAND" was born in New York, maybe you should still be searching in America for a birth entry to see if his mother is named

Ellis Island didn't open until 1892- for earlier dates the clearing station was at Castle Garden. See www.castlegarden.org. However, early manifest give little identifying detail- usually just name, age, country of origin and occupation.

'New York' can mean on of the 5 boroughs that make up N.Y. City or the state itself. Registration of state births started in 1881 and 1840 is also too early for N.Y.C.
https://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/genealogy.htm
http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/archives/genealogy.shtml
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!