Author Topic: Hannah Harland  (Read 2781 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah Harland
« on: Saturday 09 January 16 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi!
    Can anyone help with the following?

I have a Robert Bunting baptised at Chester le Street on 2nd August 1815, parents given as Mrs Hannah Bunting, Widow (says Robert was Illegitimate).

Robert Bunting I believe married as Robert Bounton on 10th December 1836 at Chester le Street a Jane Briggs. From what I can gather from census and baptisms for his and Janes children the surname was spelt as Bunting, Buntin, Bounton, Bounting and even Blounton.

I believe Roberts mother Hannah to be a Hannah Harland baptised in 1786 at Chester le Street, daughter of a Thomas and Jane Harland. From what I can gather Hannah married a William Maughan or Maugham on 8th August 1808 at Chester le Street and had a son Benjamin Harland Maugham born in 1813? I also believe Hannah was buried as Hannah Maughan on 15th March 1820 at Chester le Street.

One of Robert Bounton and Jane Briggs children was baptised as Thomas Harland Bounton in 1838 at Houghton le Spring.

If anyone can help with any of the above or why Hannah was listed as a Widow when Robert was baptised I would be very grateful! Cheers, Andrew :)

Offline vronlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Harland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 January 16 12:58 GMT (UK) »
this may help
  Anthony Bunton    m  Hannah Harland 24 Jun 1798 Witton Gilbert,Durham

cant find his death yet though

Offline vronlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 January 16 13:18 GMT (UK) »
there is this Hannah harland

Hannah Harland  bap 30 Mar 1777 Bishopwearmouth,Durham
daughter of William  & Jane Harland   

this birth date would fit in better with a 1798 marriage

????

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 January 16 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi!
    Thanks for your help! Yes I think this could be Hannah. On the baptisms for Witton Gilbert, William Bunton is born 31 December 1798 and baptised 24 March 1799, 1st son of Anthony Bunton of this parish (Witton Gilbert) by his wife Hannah Harland native of Ryhope.

I think Hannah Harland is the daughter of a William Harland (sometimes spelt Harling) and his wife Jane Robison who were married on 13 May 1776 at Brancepeth and had other issue.

There is a Burial for an Anthony Bunton, died 31 May buried 2 June 1802 at Witton Gilbert, says son of Robert Bunton by his wife Ann Bell. If this was Hannahs Husband surely it would have stated so?!?!

Cheers, Andrew :D

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 January 16 18:09 GMT (UK) »
says son of Robert Bunton by his wife Ann Bell. If this was Hannahs Husband surely it would have stated so?!?!

No  ;D
Please take a look at the relevant page via the Durham Bishops Transcripts  :)
You will see that the parentage of every person buried has been shown, even someone who is 82 years old.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gth/

This is quite unusual, even by the standards of Durham Diocesan records of the time.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline knotin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 January 16 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps these details can be of help.
Hannah Harland bapt. 30 March 1777 at St. Michael's, Bishopwearmouth - daughter of William and Jane Harland of Ryhope. Hannah was their first child. I am descended from her brother William. Her mother was formerly Jane Robinson sometimes written as Robison.
Hannah married Anthony Bunton 24 June 1798 at Witton Gilbert. A child William was born 31 Dec 1798 and bapt. at Witton Gilbert 24 March 1799. A daughter Jane was born in 1800. Anthony Bunton died 31 May 1802 and was buried at Witton Gilbert 2 June 1802 aged 24 years. Daughter Jane died 23 Dec 1804 and buried 24 Dec. 1804  at Witton Gilbert. Record states her as being daughter of the late Anthony Bunton, Shoemaker and his wife Hannah late Harland.
Robert - her illegitimate child was bapt. 2 Aug 1815 at Chester -le - Street.
This Hannah did not marry Willam Maughan. The Hannah who did was her cousin - daughter of Thomas Harland and Jane Dobson.
There was a marriage of a Hannah Bunton PBT/2/113/40 Gateshead Fell Page 241, entry no. 71 Marriage by Banns 29 March 1828 between Hannah Bunton and Richard Cooper. Wit. Robert Hutchinson and Cuthbert Young. No proof though that this Hannah Bunton and Hannah Harland were the same person. A Hannah Cooper was buried 15 July 1838 at Penshaw.
I am in regular contact with a descendant of Robert Bunton and Jane Briggs.

Offline Jaychris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 January 16 13:17 GMT (UK) »
You willl, no doubt, have read the replies to your post regarding Hannah Harland.  The reply from knotin is factually correct and I am the descendant of Robert Bunting whom knotin refers to in her post.   Robert was baptized in 1815 at Chester-le-Street and he is the illegitimate son of Hannah Harland who was born at Bishopwearmouth.   Hannah was the widow of Anthony Bunton, shoemaker.

I have the death certificates for both Robert and for Jane (nee Briggs at marriage).   Jane's death certificate gives her name as Jane Earrington Bunting - her father was Thomas Errington and her mother was Elizabeth Briggs.  She was not the first-born of their daughters, the first - also named Jane - died before my Jane was born.  Thomas and Elizabeth went on to have another daughter before Elizabeth died.

I have a lot of information (in Word documents as well as photocopies from registers etc) going back several centuries for the Erringtons and the Harland ancestors but I have not been able to confirm that Elizabeth Briggs was born at Crook, even though I have seen this mentioned online.

If you would like further information - all confirmed through official records - please let me know.

May I ask what your connection is, please?

Jaychris

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 January 16 14:00 GMT (UK) »
I have not been able to confirm that Elizabeth Briggs was born at Crook, even though I have seen this mentioned online.

Related posting
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=738755.msg5849467#msg5849467
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline careylynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 April 16 02:01 BST (UK) »
Hi there. Robert Bunting 1815 was my 4th great grandfather. Thomas Harland Bunting is my 3rd great grandfather. I do have the details of Hannah Harland being his mother, but I believe that you are well ahead of the game than me, as I don't have the baptism records etc that you  have. I will be using the information that you and others have provided in this thread to continue my research.

I thought you may be interested in any other information I have regarding this family to add to your tree. If so, feel free to message me and I can share with you what I do have.

I am in the process of trying to find more information regarding Thomas Buntings daughter (my 2nd great grandmother), Mary Ann Bunting 1862 and her husband John Eltringham so anything you have would be very interesting!

Let me know if I can help!