Author Topic: KILMARTIN,Carty,Laden,McDonagh,DRUMCLIFF&MAGHEROW  (Read 1117 times)

Offline lyndhurstlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
KILMARTIN,Carty,Laden,McDonagh,DRUMCLIFF&MAGHEROW
« on: Saturday 09 January 16 15:24 GMT (UK) »
My great great grandparents were DANIEL KILMARTIN and HELEN CARTY. They were married somewhere in Sligo, August 27th, 1843. The baptism of their first child Michael appears in the RC church records at DRUMCLIFF&MAGHEROW, December 4th, 1845.   The sponsors were Elizabeth McDonagh and Patrick Early.

Daniel's parents were Daniel Kilmartin and Catherine Laden.

Helen was baptised in Boyle, Roscommon July 13th, 1826 and her parents were John Carty and Catherine McDonagh.  I don't know if the Cartys had moved to Sligo at some point or not.

In the baptismal records where I found Michael I see a number of Kilmartins and Ladens, and there are McDonaghs, though I cannot suggest they are the same McDonaghs as Helen's mother Catherine.

I do have siblings for Helen, found on the LDS site, baptised in Roscommon.  They are  Patrick abt. 1821, , John abt. 1823 and maybe a Joseph, but other than their names and dates, they're a dead end. 

Daniel, Helen and son Michael emigrated to Glasgow around 1848 where the rest of my story continues.

I don't know if anyone sees anything of note in this information, but any help will be appreciated. If I haven't indicated any BMD info for a person it's because I don't have it. Parental info for Daniel and Helen was obtained from their death records in Glasgow. I have no other Irish info' other than what I have indicated here.

Happy Hunting!   Neil Kilmartin, Whitby, ON Canada

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: KILMARTIN,Carty,Laden,McDonagh,DRUMCLIFF&MAGHEROW
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 January 16 15:52 GMT (UK) »
'Helen' is more likely to have been called Ellen in Irish records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lyndhurstlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 January 16 16:25 GMT (UK) »
In the baptismal record obtained from the LDS site for her she is referred to as Eleanora and at the baptism of her son Michael in 1845 she is also recorded as same.  I have found no other records I can tie to her in Ireland and in Scotland she is recorded as Ellen or Helen. I recognize that Eleanora was likely the latinized version of her birth or given name as written by the priests at the time of the events, and I speculate that the name she was given at birth, at least by family, was likely Helen.  But you're likely correct as that appears to be the trend.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 January 16 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline lyndhurstlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 January 16 17:36 GMT (UK) »
That's the source of my birth record for Michael in 1845.   I scoured through the 1841-1864 births there  to see if there was anything remotely relevant to my search but came up empty. And of course the other baptisms and the marriages are beyond the departure date of 1847-1848 of my Kilmartins to Glasgow, so they are records that wouldn't likely have any relevance to my efforts unless I had family evident that were "left behind", but I don't.   Still open to all hints, suggestions and redirection, and I appreciate all attempts to do so, regardless of the outcome!