Author Topic: The MAINS, a sept of the GUNN clan  (Read 1432 times)

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The MAINS, a sept of the GUNN clan
« on: Saturday 09 January 16 15:46 GMT (UK) »
My surname is MAIN, a sept of the Gunn clan. I have been researching my MAIN ancestors for 15 years. I initially suspected that since the Gunn clan was from northern Scotland, I might possibly have Norse ancestry. A Y-DNA test was surprising in that my haplogroup turned out to be J2, not I (which it would have been if I had Norse ancestors). J2 is found in only 6-7% of Scots, and these people came from the Fertile Crescent originally, so possibly my ancestors came to Scotland with the Romans (or might have been Jewish). The question I have is how would the MAIN family become associated with the GUNN clan?
Thanks for your reply. Jim Main
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline mwaddell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The MAINS, a sept of the GUNN clan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 January 16 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jim- My name is Mike Waddell and I live in Emmaus, PA, USA.  I've researched my Waddell ancestry off and on for several years to the point that I'm reasonably confident that my family line runs from John The Martyr, William b. 1660 and on the Crown of London, William b.c.1715 in America, etc.  I have a few questions about the Waddell line within this family branch...are you knowledgeable about this family line or is there anyone else you might suggest that I contact?

This is also my first use of Rootschat.com so suggestions would also be welcome there as well.
Regards,
Mike Waddell
Waddell

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 January 16 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Another Main here  ;D

Always knew some Mains were part of the Gunn clan......wasn't particularly fond of the tartan.

My Mains ended up in the north east of Scotland, Hopeman, Lossiemouth, Burghead but I haven't been able to trace them before that. Too many of them with the same surname and given the Scottish naming pattern it gets very confusing.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 January 16 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just been looking at your post and your question about clan septs.

I believe this usually came about through marriage or small families seeking the protection of a much larger, more powerful neighbour and thus becoming part of this "clan." There are lots of sites which explain this more fully if you search "What is a clan sept" (maybe you have already tried this).

Also a warm welcome to Mike from rootschat. The same may be helpful to you as there are many clan associations around and you might be lucky and find someone who can help you further. Just put the surname of " Waddell Scottish Surname" into your search engine.

Good luck with your future research.

Best wishes

Dorrie (Edinburgh)
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife