Author Topic: George GRANT farmer  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George GRANT farmer
« on: Sunday 10 January 16 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Has anybody come across one or two by the name of George GRANT, maybe a farmer, who had a child Isabella GRANT abt 1804 and/or a child Margaret GRANT abt 1802, both in Banff (according to their death registrations)?

Isabella GRANT married soldier John GEDDES in Cullen. He became a Town Officer in Cullen. They  moved back to Banff. He died 10 Jun 1858; for some reason he is buried in Alvah. His wife died 1 Jul 1882 still in Banff.

Margaret GRANT never married. She can be traced in Banff in every census, she died 20 Jun 1876. The informant was her son Alexander ROBERTSON at Longmanhill, Gamrie - of whom I can find no trace whatsoever.

Reason for query is that one or the other is likely to have had an illeg child named Charlotte GRANT (b Banff abt 1827) whose two children by John HENRY (from Muiryhill, Alvah) were brought up in the household of John HARDIE (also from Alvah) & Janet CRUICKSHANK. The great question is WHY?! One explanation is that she was illeg child of John HARDIE. Another explanation is that she was (yet another) illeg child of Janet CRUICKSHANK (my gtgtgdmother). I'm tending towards the former, but Janet had two illeg children by James GRANT shoemaker in Aberchirder, and of her six known lapses I have identified only five and this Charlotte could be her elusive sixth.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George GRANT farmer
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 January 16 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Witness's to the baptism of a William Henry 1849 which you didn't mention, were William Henry and John Hardy.  If this was my search, I would check to see if he Hardy was an uncle or possibly a brother in law? 

As far as children of a George Grant are concerned the OPR's list 20 children on record as being b 1795-1815 in Banff.  There was a Margaret but no Isabella, this George had four children in total.

05/11/1798 GRANT MARGARET GEORGE GRANT/HARRIOT STUART F MORTLACH /BANFF

Do you know when/where John Henry or Charlotte died?

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George GRANT farmer
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 January 16 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Don,
Thanks for replying.
Re being uncle etc - done that!
Despite exhaustive searching, I've never found any connection between the HARDIEs in Alvah and the HENRYs in Alvah (both these families are reasonably well documented so it's not as if there's a lack of information).

John HENRY (aka John HENDRY 'officially' and John G. HENDRY according to family, where the 'G.' has been interpreted, rightly or wrongly, as Grant) died 8 Feb 1915 in RM of St Paul, Manitoba. He married Sarah HAY in 1855. I believe Charlotte GRANT had died bef 1855, aft 1851 census when they were in Portsoy.

When I said 'Banff', I did mean 'Banff, Banffshire' and the IGI has no candidates. Indeed a feature of this search has been the complete lack of information for these Grants, which makes me think these people were from one of the non-established churches. I got the Grant girls' birth years from their censuses and death registrations, Margaret's being particularly consistent.