Author Topic: Hulme's and Mills what happened next? Part 2!  (Read 728 times)

Offline RayMilBax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hulme's and Mills what happened next? Part 2!
« on: Sunday 10 January 16 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Progress from my last post last week!  :D

However progress brings further questions that need answers!  ;)

Walter Mills did marry a Helen Newton in Ficksburg, Eastern Free State, South Africa at some point I would expect between 1908-1935 maximum.

They went on to have during this same period (1908-1935) 2 children called Sheila and Eileen Mills. They are both mentioned on a will of Walter's dated 1951 but no mention of a different surname. Also a year on in 1952 when Walter did die again there was no mention of a change of name for the girls.

5 years later when Helen his wife died in 1957 she died in the East London area of Eastern Free State.

Can anyone assist with what became of Sheila and Eileen? If they are still alive they would definately be at the youngest 80 years old.

Thanks
Phil
Rayson - Bedworth pre 1850 and Manchester post 1850
Mills - Ireland pre 1850 and Manchester post 1850
Baxendale - Wigan pre 1850 and Manchester post 1850
Tallis - Bedworth pre and post 1850
England - Manchester pre and post 1850
Townsend - Halifax pre and post 1850

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Hulme's and Mills what happened next? Part 2!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 January 16 17:24 GMT (UK) »

Perhaps you should get a copy of Helen's estate file it may give more recent information on the girls. ;)

DEPOT     KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MOG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 1/1/13                                                               
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 242/57                                                               
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          MILLS, HELEN. NEE NEWTON. ESTATE PAPERS.                             
STARTING  19570000                                                             
ENDING    19570000                                                             

This is held by the Cape Archives;
Did either of the girls have a middle name???

East London is a port city in the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline RayMilBax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi 3sillydogs

Thanks for this but another rootschatter had already discovered this what you've just sent which prompted me to send a new post titled "part 2" as I have managed to progress the parents but now I am looking for the children - Sheila and Eileen.

Neither girl on the estate papers is mentioned as having a middle name although late on yesterday I managed to find both on ships lists on Ancestry going to England in the early/mid 1950's. Both appear to be career minded rather than having a family as Sheila is listed as a teacher (single) and now based in Northern Rhodesia and Eileen a Medical Technologist also single and seemingly based around East London in South Africa still.

I've not had time yet to check if they returned back to South Africa on ships lists from England but it looks now as if I'm looking more down the line of when they died rather than if they married (certainly still possible) but any children looks unlikely now with both the girls being late 30's or early 40's on these ships listings.

Any assistance in what became of them would be brilliant

Offline RayMilBax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 21:55 GMT (UK) »
I have located Sheila Mills last trip I can find leaving England to go back to South Africa - her country of intended future residence is Northern Rhodesia and the boat trip was 15th November 1956 - she is still single and now aged 42 with her date of birth listed as 1st March 1914.

Elaine Mills last trip leaving England to go back to South Africa on 18th October 1956 - she is also still single. Her date of birth is listed as 5th February 1916.  Incidentally both in 1956 were living at the same address at 10 Craven Hill, London, W2. Country of future residence for her was South Africa.

It would be interesting to see if either came back after 1960 as unfortunately ships lists I have access to only go up to 1960.

Has anybody got any other ideas? Marriages are looking unlikely so its deaths I guess I'm looking for now  :(