Author Topic: Duplicate or connected posts  (Read 11043 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Duplicate or connected posts
« Reply #63 on: Monday 11 January 16 22:33 GMT (UK) »
According to the home page banner
226,174 members are ready to help you with your questions

:o

Maybe that should be changed from "Members" to "Volunteers"....I have been asked in the past if restoring is well paid.....after I recovered from my laughing fit......I pointed out that it I was a volunteer.
 Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 17:28 GMT (UK) »
I have greatly appreciated the help given on here.
When I first started on "Rootschat" , not that many years ago, I did, because I'd got a bit muddled up, put two very similar requests up, concerning a puzzling Irish connection - and it was pointed out to me politely but firmly that I'd near-duplicated!
 I felt about the level of a worm's waistcoat button for that, because I had already realised that people on here spend their time and effort to help so freely. I was reluctant to ask for help for a while after that, but then I made a list (quite long now) and jot down on that, in a loose-leaf folder, any original requests I make, so even if my brain does flip, I'm not as likely to do such a silly thing again.
On the other side, now having a bit more awareness, and having subscriptions here and there, and a bit better access to records, I'm irrationally delighted to be able to help someone out myself.
But I do get a bit sick of the ones that seem to say "Here's by grandparents names and now please find out and tell me everything about my family history, including all that would be on certificates, right back to William the conqueror" - and then, as you say, argue from little evidence that the helpful one HAS to be wrong!
I also spent ages waiting for a certificate once, after a post, and the replies to my post came thick and fast - and accurate for the most part, as I was later able to check out - and as I waited, I almost wrote "Yes - I'm still waiting for the certificate everyone's telling me to get" after I'd kindly been given the information that helped me to specify the right certificate. I felt that I really should not have had any more replies until I'd shown I'd done that something that became so simple myself, once I'd been pointed in the right direction, and yet further information came piling in....
-And I do hope that I've always thanked everyone here who is so helpful. You who are truly expert are valued and respected for your ability to ferret out the right places to find the information, and at least two of you writing on here I am very grateful to for help and good sound advice.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 17:44 GMT (UK) »
And I do hope that I've always thanked everyone here who is so helpful.

Take it from me - you always have ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Good. Take a bow, CaroleW, you were one I was thinking of, not just from help to me, but also how you've helped other. You deserve thanks.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 17:54 GMT (UK) »
.        I felt about the level of a worm's waistcoat button         

What a brilliant description, I must remember that!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk