Author Topic: GRIFFITHS of Wellington  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
GRIFFITHS of Wellington
« on: Sunday 10 January 16 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,

In the 1841 my 3 x gt grandfather, Absalom GRIFFITHS, born around 1790, was living in Parton Square, Wellington. ( HO107; Piece 907; Book: 3; Civil Parish: Wellington; County: Shropshire; Enumeration District: 5; Folio: 14; Page: 21)

Absalom, as far as I can see, only had two brothers, William -gone missing - and Richard, who died in infancy.  I don't know the area, but Absalom was in New Street around 1820 and much later in life.  Could  Parton Square be said to be New Street?

I  have two main queries:

1) Who was the 70 year oldish Susannah GRIFFITHS living as a separate householder in the same house.  Along with a 15ish Ann GRIFFITHS?

2) In the house next door was a John GRIFFITHS, 30ish along with wife Harriet and family.  Who was John?

Any help gratefully received

Mike

HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: GRIFFITHS of Wellington
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 January 16 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Info not included - his parents were Richard & Sarah so we can rule out Susannah as his mother

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JMX1-SX4

Have you looked up John & Harriet on the 1851 to establish exactly where he was born?  Could he be a son of Absalom?

As you know - the 1841 does not show true ages nor does it show relationships so it would be impossible to determine who Susannah & Ann were and their relationship to each other or to Absalom via the 1841 entry

It's likely Susannah was a widow so Griffiths would be her married name which would rule her out as  a sister of Absalom's father Richard
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 January 16 19:27 GMT (UK) »
If you look on the opposite side of the 1841 image - there is a George & Mary Griffiths - George's occ is also nailer as is Absalom's and John's
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 January 16 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Absalom has a John in his household too, so John aged 30 is probably not his son

For clarity - 1841 has

Absalom Griffiths  50
Ann Griffiths       50
William Griffiths       25
John Griffiths       20
Hanah Griffiths       20
Elizabeth Griffiths  15
Louisa Griffiths       12
Rachael Griffiths    11
Sarah Griffiths       10
Absolam Griffiths    8

[single line separator]
Susannah Griffiths   70
Ann Griffiths           15

[double line separator]
John Griffiths   30
Harriett Griffiths  25 - not b in county
Ann Griffiths   8
Mary Griffiths  6
Harriett Griffiths 3
John Griffiths  8 months

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 January 16 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Absalom & Ann had a daughter Ann baptised 25th December 1827 All Saints, Wellington
Also Richard/Sarah had a son John baptised 16th July 1808 All Saints, Wellington

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 January 16 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Good People,

Have you looked up John & Harriet on the 1851 to establish exactly where he was born?  Could he be a son of Absalom?
Yes, but can't find.  There's a death of a Harriet GRIFFITHS in Q2 of 1844 in Wellington.

Also Richard/Sarah had a son John baptised 16th July 1808 All Saints, Wellington
These were Absalom's parents.  So John could well have been Absalom's brother. [Thank you I missed the Baptism, as I think Richard may have died in Wrockwardine some weeks earlier.]

Absalom & Ann had a daughter Ann baptised 25th December 1827 All Saints, Wellington
Yes, I'd noted that.  I thought maybe that Hannah was Ann... In 1820 there was another Ann Baptised.  There's a burial of an Ann in January 1823.  The Abode being Chapel Lane, which doesn't fit anywhere.

Perhaps there was some confusion and poor old Ann was added at the last minute to the wrong household.

I can't find a baptism for William and John, so may be Hannah wasn't Baptised either.

the 1841 image - there is a George & Mary Griffiths - George's occ is also nailer as is Absalom's and John's
Doesn't appear to be related.

That still leaves Susannah GRIFFITHS

Thanks once again

Mike
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 18:38 GMT (UK) »

Absalom, as far as I can see, only had two brothers, William -gone missing - and Richard, who died in infancy.  I don't know the area, but Absalom was in New Street around 1820 and much later in life.  Could  Parton Square be said to be New Street?

New Street was already built up and between 1800 and 1840 more rows were built off it: for example Burnett's Yard, Jackson's Yard, Brown's Yard, and Corbett's Yard; (fn. 59) at the same time Nailors Row and Chapel Lane were extended. In Jarratt's Lane (later Glebe Street), a south-east continuation of Tan Bank, a small group of cottages (fn. 60) expanded northwards as Parton (later New) Square and southwards (fn. 61) as Bladen's Court. (fn. 62)

Source:  http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/salop/vol11/pp204-211

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi ScobieDrom,

Thanks for commenting.  Very useful.  I am now quite happy with the family moving around the "New Street" area during a period of 40 years or so.

Mike
GARDNER, Solihull;

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 18:53 GMT (UK) »
In 1821 there's a Susan Chilton age 50 lodging with Absolom and his family and there's a burial of Susan Chilton of Parton Square age 80 21 September 1841, I wonder if Susan Chilton is Susan Griffiths and was listed as Griffiths in error? Of course this doesn't explain what the relationship with Absolom was.
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk