Author Topic: 1952 Obituary …Helen Murray  (Read 2129 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1952 Obituary …Helen Murray
« on: Sunday 10 January 16 21:33 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone has access to 1952 Obits.(I presume in Lauder)?
  I am seeking one for Helen "Edgar" Murray.
She was born Feb.1877 and died June 29 1952.  Her parents were Robert Edgar & Helen Chalmers.
  Her Husband was Douglas Murray 1872-Sep.11 1942.
They also had a daughter Helen 1920-Sep 18 1922
  All three are in the Lauder Cemetery.
Seeking to see if there were any other children.
 Thanks from Canada….Ann
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Anne Lothian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1952 Obituary …Helen Murray
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 September 17 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

Are you still looking for your Murrays?

A free search of Scotlandspeople indexes gave the following information :

1901, marriage of Douglas Murray and Nellie (Helen), in Lauder.
     1902, birth of Christina Murray, in Lauder.
     1902, death of Christina Murray, in Lauder.
     1908, birth of Nellie Murray, in Lauder.
     1909, birth of Helen Chalmers Murray, in Lauder.
     1911, death of Helen Chalmers Murray, aged2, in Lauder

Could these children be correct family? Dates, names and location  suggest yes.

There are 2 other births registered in Lauder, in 1920 and 1924, but Nellie (Helen), their possible mother, would have been in her mid to late 40s so unlikely to be hers.

Douglas Murray is in the censuses of 1901 (before or after his marriage, I don't know), and 1911. The child, Nellie, born in 1908, might be listed there with her parents.

Death of Douglas Murray, aged 70, in 1942, was in Edinburgh, so probably at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.
Death of Helen Murray, aged 75, in 1952, in Gordon, about 10 miles from Lauder.

The only death I could find of a Nellie Murray born 1908, anywhere near Lauder was in 2002, in Galasheils ( about 10miles away), aged 94.

There is a death of a Nellie Murray, born 1908, in 1908 in Rathven, in Moray, more than 200 miles north of the Lauder area, so unless you have any links with that area, seems unlikely to be yours.

Hope this is of some help.

Anne

Offline Anne Lothian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 September 17 19:11 BST (UK) »
Meant to end my post by saying buy some Scotlandspeople credits and take a closer look at those "probables" and "possibles".  Good luck with it.

Anne

Offline Anne Lothian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 September 17 00:13 BST (UK) »
Correction of an error in final paragraph.
It should read "There is a death of a Nellie Murray, born 1808, DIED 1808 in Rathven, in Moray............."

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 September 17 14:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your info & time....have checked in with Scots People and will continue my quest.
  I appreciate your helping out....
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger