Author Topic: Help with finding date and place of death of George Peter Christopher Thordahl  (Read 3636 times)

Offline ewontner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am trying to find a death record for an Ellen Thordahl (born in about 1869 as Elena or Ellen Annoni).

She was married to a George Peter Christopher Thordahl from Denmark.

Her son was George Joseph Thordahl who I know died in 1964 in Little Sutton in The Wirral.

The death records don't reveal any suitable matches but she was definitely alive up to 1939 whwn she is recorded as widower as she is listed in the 1939 register. She would have been 70 so don't think she would have remarried.

Do any of you recognise these unusual names or where I might be able to look next.

Also looking for death details of her husband who in 1911 is living in Thames Ditton in Surrey. Also no idea what happened to him after that date.

Thanks in advance for any help

Ed Osborne

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with finding date and place of death of George Peter Christopher Thordahl
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 January 16 06:13 GMT (UK) »
George Joseph was 63 when he died in the latter half of 1964 - so this tells us George snr and Ellen were having children at the turn of the century..
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVCV-XQV2

do you know who Amy Thordahl is ???   born 9th sept 1905 - died 1992 in Birkenhead
was she born a Thordahl or marry one ??

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVZC-BMR3
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with finding date and place of death of George Peter Christopher Thordahl
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 January 16 06:19 GMT (UK) »
Madeline Thordahl b june qtr 1897 - in Liverpool - looks like a sister
George Joseph b 1901 in Liverpool
Madeline married Robert C Caunce 1925
now I know who Amy was - George Josephs wife - Amy Millwaters married 1931

so it would seem we need to find the family in 1901 census - do you have them ??if so could you post it please
.....................................................................................

this marriage record has Elena Annoni - married Xmas day 1895
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NK24-WZD

registered as Ellen Annoni b Liverpool mar qtr 1870
parents Alesandro Annoni and Isabella Lennon - who married Liverpool St Peter church mar qtr 1869 - Alesandro aged 28 - Isabella aged 16
Italian born in 1841
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NK24-WZD
2 servants so quite well off - Thomas Street address ...so city centre of Liverpool ...
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 January 16 06:41 GMT (UK) »
I can't see a death for either of them. Is it possible that George senior died overseas (possibly Denmark?)?
In fact, I can't see a marriage either.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 January 16 07:04 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find a death record for an Ellen Thordahl (born in about 1869 as Elena or Ellen Annoni).

She was married to a George Peter Christopher Thordahl from Denmark.

Her son was George Joseph Thordahl who I know died in 1964 in Little Sutton in The Wirral.

The death records don't reveal any suitable matches but she was definitely alive up to 1939 whwn she is recorded as widower as she is listed in the 1939 register. She would have been 70 so don't think she would have remarried.

Do any of you recognise these unusual names or where I might be able to look next.

Also looking for death details of her husband who in 1911 is living in Thames Ditton in Surrey. Also no idea what happened to him after that date.

Thanks in advance for any help

Ed Osborne

Can you please tell us the address in 1939?       Perhaps she was killed in a bombing raid?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline ewontner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 January 16 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the input so far.
I am already aware of the other people already mentioned ie Madeline Thordahl (sister of George Joseph and daughter of George senior and Ellen/Elena). She married a Robert Cecil Caunce.
Amy Milwaters was George Joseph's wife.
I already know all their dates of birth/death.

It is still Ellen/Elena's lack of death record that is frustrating me.

Death details for her husband George will be harder to pun down since I think he could have either gone back to Denmark or possibly to Iceland where I already know that there are marriage records relating to him.

Sorry don't know the exact 1939 address but will try to find it out.

Thanks for help so far.

Do you think Ellen/Elena's death is not listed because it hasn't yet been transcribed? I know there are still millions of records that haven't been transcribed.

Ed Osborne

Offline johndwadsworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 January 16 09:57 GMT (UK) »
In 1934 Kelly's gives Ellen's address as  Welsh Gate, Puddington, Ledshaw, Wirral.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 January 16 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi ewontner
I tried looking for a death of George in Denmark without success unfortunately but I did find a few censuses which looks like his family in Copenhagen. You may already know this but it can also point you in the right direction.

George Peter Christopher Thordahl in 1855 Census in Copenhagen:
http://www.danishfamilysearch.com/cid8375380

George Peter Christopher Thordahl family in 1880 Census in Copenhagen:
http://www.danishfamilysearch.com/cid10281094

George Peter Christopher Thordahl father's family in 1840 Census in Copenhagen:
http://www.danishfamilysearch.com/cid4761013

Ian

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 January 16 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Where was Ellen born? I wonder whether she also returned home at the start of the war thinking it was safer than staying in England?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk