Author Topic: Guest of Her Majesty on 1851 Census night  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Guest of Her Majesty on 1851 Census night
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 January 16 22:57 GMT (UK) »
I think some people are reading 'receiving the same' as 'receiving the same' (sentence) but it actually reads 'receiving' (the charge) 'the same' (the hay stolen by jnr)  ;) acquitted.

That is exactly where I went wrong. Thanks for clearing it up David and josey.(so obvious now it has been pointed out  :-[ )

Offline GDWrugby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
     thanks for all the help, agree the Samuel Pearson, age 15, Blacksmith is him in Maidstone gaol.

Have found more background to the story which I attach, I laugh every time I read about Samuel Pearson snr. This is from South Eastern Gazette - Tuesday 04 March 1851

This is definitely the right family, long line of Blacksmith's, living in Capel now, family originally from Maidstone, but Samuel Jnr's age is wrong. He was not 15 but rather 17, he was baptised in 1833.

Do you think he lied about his age ?

Thanks again for all your help.

cheers
Watson, Whalan, Cook, Klotz, Phelps, Weir, Wingfield, Pearson

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Are you thinking he may have lied about his age in order to receive a more lenient sentence? (if that would have happened at that time with someone younger)

Offline GDWrugby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I can't think of another reason why he would lie, although he seems to be quite liberal in what age he puts on the census throughout.

From what I can see he is the only Samuel Pearson born in Maidstone from 1833 to 1838. Definitely right family, living in the right area.

I have him marrying a Caroline Downer in 1853, she was born on the Isle of Wight. I don't have the actual cert ( on the to do list).

His birth year seems to change every other census I have him on to 1891 so was wondering what age he would come up as for this.

I believe his correct birth date is 1833, I have his baptism on the 27th of Oct.

Unless someone has a better explanation ? I knowthe actual date of the census might afffect it a bit but the swings seem too big.

thanks again for all your help.

Watson, Whalan, Cook, Klotz, Phelps, Weir, Wingfield, Pearson

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 January 16 00:16 GMT (UK) »
A few thoughts:

He may not have known his age or date of birth. Ages often vary wildly through the censuses. How much does his year of birth vary in the documentation you have found so far?

Check all censuses for others of the same name and similar age to rule them out - birth and baptism records may not exist, or may not be online so checking the censuses might pick up another Samuel.

It will be interesting to see how old he claims to be when he marries - let's hope it is not simply of "full age".  :)

Offline scintilla

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 January 16 14:39 GMT (UK) »
I checked my ancestors who were in gaol on the night of the 1851 census and they are identified by name, however those in gaol for the 1861 census were identified by initials - partially anonymized I suppose. I don't know if this was a policy for 1861 or whether it was up to the enumerator how he recorded prisoners in a census.

All other details - age, occupation, place of birth were recorded correctly so you are can be pretty confident you have the right person, especially if the initials are a less common combination. So it is always worth checking on a census for any individuals identified by initials.