Author Topic: Kirby surnames around Oldland I cannot place .  (Read 439 times)

Offline double-trouble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kirby surnames around Oldland I cannot place .
« on: Monday 11 January 16 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone advise on some stray Kirby names I've come across while looking at this family surname of mine .

Joseph and William Kirby  bp . 1842 at Oldland , St Annes have parents Joseph and Mary .

I have a Joseph and Mary Kirby ( Harding ) who mrd . c . 1836 and had sons names Joseph ( b. abt 1837 ref. 1861 census ) and William ( b . abt 1848 ref . 1861 census )...and although William is a strong pos . to be their offspring , Josephs b . date is a long way off .

Could there have been another Joseph who d . at some stage prior to 1848 of their mrg ??

I also have a Joseph Kirby who mrd . Lucy Monks ( Dec quarter 1863 ) who I believe had Elmira
( bp . 1875 St . Annes ) . Elmira I can find no other info . for but wondered as to Josephs family past .

There are many of the same Christian names ( Joseph , William , Samuel especially ) within the various generations of the Kirbys which have caused problems cross referencing and hope someone may have info  . / or accesss to info . to place those names given above .

I have come across and searched the Bitton families site recently but that sadly has been of no use .

Appreciate any advise and info .
Purnell - Thornbury / Leon . Stanley
Strong - Thornbury / FOD
Kirby - Bitton / Oldland
Burgess - Bedminster
George - Hotwells
Ryan - Bristol
Richards - Bristol / N . Devon
Bennett - Sodburys
Fisher - Thornbury area
Dolling - Wick / Abson
Thomas / Evans - Merthyr / Aberdare / Trecynon
Tanner - Bristol
Ablett - Thornbury area
Flook - East Bristol
Bennett - Oldbury / Thornbury
Spencer - Wilts
Blannin(g) - Bristol
Pollard - Bedminster
Johnson ( Duffield ) - Bristol ( Monmouth )

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Kirby surnames around Oldland I cannot place .
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 January 16 17:57 GMT (UK) »
also have a Joseph Kirby who mrd . Lucy Monks ( Dec quarter 1863 )

but wondered as to Josephs family past .

No details given as to his birthyear or birthplace and no mention of who he names as his father on his marriage cert? 

Could there have been another Joseph who d . at some stage prior to 1848 of their mrg ??

Given that you say the first Joseph was b 1837 and the next 1848 - haven't you checked freebmd to see if the first Joseph died between those dates?

Joseph and William Kirby  bp . 1842 at Oldland , St Annes have parents Joseph and Mary .

I have a Joseph and Mary Kirby ( Harding ) who mrd . c . 1836 and had sons names Joseph ( b. abt 1837 ref. 1861 census ) and William ( b . abt 1848 ref . 1861 census )...and although William is a strong pos . to be their offspring , Josephs b . date is a long way off .

How can William b 1848 be a "strong pos" for the William baptised 1842?  The fact that both were baptised the same day suggests one of 2 things - they were twins or one was born earlier and baptised late

who I believe had Elmira
( bp . 1875 St . Annes ) . Elmira I can find no other info

You don't appear to have checked freebmd where you will find both her birth and death registrations
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Kirby surnames around Oldland I cannot place .
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 January 16 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Baptisms do not always occur immediately after birth so it would not be unusual for Joseph b 1837 to not be baptised until 1842 along with a sibling.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire