Author Topic: Robert Naylor Clark and Elizabeth Gilmour Brown Robertson  (Read 4640 times)

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Naylor Clark and Elizabeth Gilmour Brown Robertson
« on: Monday 11 January 16 19:41 GMT (UK) »
so today i embarked on my paternal grandmothers tree journey and already im hitting a wall. firstly i didnt realise that i couldnt look up many scottish documents on the 2 usual family tree websites. secondly i didnt realise quite how huge this task was. my grandmother is a Robertson on her mothers side. yep im looking for a Robertson in Scotland, and her fathers side is a Clark. ive heard of Robertsons obviously and im told the Clarks are a rather large family too. so without any place to look without paying more subscriptions and im looking for the Scottish variety of Welsh Jones, and Englsih Smiths i am turning to Rootschat to hopefully get me started, and maybe find some extended family.

my grandmother was born 1943 in Stirlingshire to Robert Naylor Clark and Elizabeth G D Robertson
i have all my grandmothers siblings and as most ae still lving we must skip over these.
i have the birth of Robert Naylor Clark 1923 in Stirlingshire and i have his death in 1998 Mansfield Nottinghamshire. i have Elizabeth G D Robertson born 1923, but Scotland is all i have for her (although i would assume it is still Stirlingshire) and i have her death approx 1996 in Mansfield Nottinghamshire.

they had 6 children first in 1943, and the last in 1959. then they divorced and remarried other people. i would love to be able to find out when and where they married, and if possible some names on Roberts side going back one more generation. But a marriage would be a wonderful start.

many thanks
Ralph. Lever. Young. Lasham. Denigan. Sawyer. Moore. Stone

saville foljambe moore

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: a marriage look up and some connections maybe?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 January 16 20:14 GMT (UK) »

my grandmother was born 1943 in Stirlingshire to
Robert Naylor Clark and Elizabeth G D Robertson

i have the birth of Robert Naylor Clark 1923 in Stirlingshire and i have his death in 1998 Mansfield Nottinghamshire.

i have Elizabeth G D Robertson born 1923, but Scotland is all i have for her (although i would assume it is still Stirlingshire) and i have her death approx 1996 in Mansfield Nottinghamshire.

Is this your Elizabeth?

Don't know how accurate this info. is it's from a public tree on Ancestry
says she remarried in 1981 Chesterfield Derbyshire

Sorry no date given for her marriage to Robert :(

Elizabeth G D  Robertson born 5/11/1923

Parents
Alexander Robertson 1868
Annie Brown 1872 -  29 Nov 1973 Killearn Stirlingshire

Siblings
Alexander 1897 Glasgow – 18/9/1953 Killearn
John 1898
Andrew 1900

No further info. on husband Robert Naylor Clark 17/10/1923 Stirlingshire - 1998

This is the 1901 census mentioned

Alexander Robertson abt 1868 Stirling, stirlingshire
Annie Robertson abt. 1872 Bothe Keamer, Stirlingshire
Registration Number:   644/12
Registration district:   Gorbals
Civil Parish:   Glasgow Govan
County:   Lanarkshire
Address:   72 Mckinlay St
children
Alexander 4 Glasgow, gorbals
John 3 Partick, Lanarkshire
Andrew 1 Partick, Lanarkshire
2 boarders

they had 6 children first in 1943, and the last in 1959.
then they divorced and remarried other people.
i would love to be able to find out when and where they married, and if possible some names on Roberts side going back one more generation.

But a marriage would be a wonderful start.

Have you tried Scotlandpeople I don't have any credits to look at the details

did a marriage search using following
Robert N Clark to Elizabeth G D Robertson - no matches
Robert N Clark to Elizabeth Robertson -1 match (Year range 1940 - 1943)
Robert Clark to Elizabeth Robertson - 1 matches   ''       ''          ''        ''     

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 January 16 20:39 GMT (UK) »
If you search Scotlandspeople http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ with Robert Clark spouse Robertson from 1940 -1943 1 match comes up. Needs 1 credit to view then you could order the certificate. Will give both sets of parents.

You'll have to register in order to search; buying credits on SP will be the only way, they have a monopoly I think.

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 January 16 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth G D  Robertson born 5/11/1923
Siblings
Alexander 1897 Glasgow – 18/9/1953 Killearn
John 1898
Andrew 1900
Not impossible of course but that's pretty big gap between 1900 & 1923 & mother Annie b 1872 would have been 51  ???
As Ladyhawk says, it's from an ancestry public tree, so you'd need to contact the owner to find what their evidence is.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 January 16 20:47 GMT (UK) »
If you search Scotlandspeople http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ with Robert Clark spouse Robertson from 1940 -1943 1 match comes up. Needs 1 credit to view then you could order the certificate. Will give both sets of parents.

You'll have to register in order to search; buying credits on SP will be the only way, they have a monopoly I think.

Hi Josey was just adding the same info. to my post  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 January 16 20:49 GMT (UK) »
When that happens it's usually me who gets there second  ;D ;D

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 January 16 21:13 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry I should have said that tree is mine, however the into on it is not researched as such and only added based in my grandmother's memories which could be very hazy. Other bits of it were added by my mum when she was reaseaching my dads tree a bit. It was all added a few years ago and we didn't really know what we were doing.
Ralph. Lever. Young. Lasham. Denigan. Sawyer. Moore. Stone

saville foljambe moore

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 January 16 21:13 GMT (UK) »

Hi Josey was just adding the same info. to my post  :)

If you narrow the free search, the year of marriage seems to be 1943 and the place Wigtown(!). As this is less than 75 years ago, record will not be available on-line yet. Wartime marriage - was one or other in services?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Naylor Clark and Elizabeth G D Robertson in 1940s
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 January 16 21:32 GMT (UK) »
i didnt realise that i couldnt look up many scottish documents on the 2 usual family tree websites.

See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.