Author Topic: John G Lister and Agnes Lister of Wakefield & family  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Hyjean

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John G Lister and Agnes Lister of Wakefield & family
« on: Tuesday 12 January 16 08:06 GMT (UK) »
I have found these people in the 1901 Census.
They appear to have died before the next Census in 1911 where two of their seven children -
Emily & Agnes were in a Poor House described as a "scattered house" at 26 college Grove Wakefield aged 10 and 7. I think it is their mother who died in 1907 & possibly the father in 1908- not certain of the latter.
Would there be any appropriate newspaper which might outline any details of these people which one could follow up? Thanks for help in advance. :o Hyjean

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John G Lister and Agnes Lister of Wakefield & family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 09:15 GMT (UK) »
I would imagine they were not of significant standing to warrant any mention in a newspaper.

What sort of info are you wanting? Death certs may help, or looking at Parish registers for burials.
Have you found the other children in 1911? Or what happened tot hem later, eg marrriages or deaths?

Or are you wanting to research going further back? HAve you found their marriage? Earlier censuses?

Let us know what you already know, and what you are wanting to research, and we will see if we can come up with anything
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just had a quick look & I think Emily is; Emily Adelaide Lister was born 1901 and married Reginald Charles Slater 4 Dec 1929 at Sandal Magna. Her father is John George Lister but he is not down as deceased so I would assume he was alive up to that point.

Regards
John Ellam
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Not necessarily.
If she was not specifically asked, or did not volunteer the info, then he could well be deceased. It happens.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Daughter Margery Lavinia was a witness who signed as Marjorie Lavinia Lister when sister Phyllis Evelyn (registered Phyllis Eveline) married 19/2/1917 St. John, Wakefield - father is given as plain George Lister (not shown as deceased although the groom's father is) which would suggest he was definitely still alive in 1917.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hyjean

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Many Thanks lizdb and J.R. Ellam for your posts.
Re: the newspaper I was thinking of either a family death notice or an accident of some sort  however as you say Death Certificates would be the way to go. I have followed up the sisters in the family and find two employed in Wakefield and one in Nottingham.
Also a Marriage Certificate of Emily Adelaide Lister and Reginald Slater's would clarify whether
John G Lister was still alive at that point.
I was trying to find out how long Emily and her sister Agnes stayed in the Institution as part of Wakefield Union Workhouse at 26 College Grove. They were listed as inmates 1911.
Later Emily is c/- Mrs Fletcher at "Holmhurst" Holmfirth I assume as an employee.
It is known that Emily had a child out of wedlock before her marriage in 1929 named Wallace ?
who later died in WW11.
I have some information on those that went before but little to build up a picture apart of their lives apart from each one having coal mining as their occupation. :D
Again thanks. Cheers Hyjean

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My grandmothers family lived in the Wakefield area and it was common for the females to be sent away to work as maids. (My grandmother was sent to Hartshead).
If the father was struggling to look after the children after the mothers death some or all of the children could have been taken into care until he was in a position to look after them, it could have been a few days or until they became of age.

Regards
John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline Hyjean

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 January 16 00:26 GMT (UK) »
 ::)Thanks Annette 7, John and Lizbd for your assistance.  Reginald Charles Slater born 1908 was cited as married to Emily Lister- my friend who I'm helping on this project has a card with C Slater on it-- he was a music teacher at Wrenthorpe Yorkshire. Interesting--  he was blind- there's an unmarked photo of a blind man with clothes suggesting late 19th early 20th century style.. I did see a program some time ago( Who Do You Think You Are?) when someone had a forebear who'd been at a blind school in Kent where music was a top subject on the curriculum.Maybe his teaching might have  a newspaper ad locally. Info on Slaters would be appreciated.
As an aside I am Australian -retired teacher and English history buff--my friend was born in Wakefield area but left aged 11 -Emily Lister and Reginald Charles Slater were her grandparents who she remembers. So far I have found the Listers working in the coal mines or in service. This was a disappointment to my friend as she had been led to believe that they were connected to Lister Mill and were more salubrious than has turned out to be. I have run off material from i/net on Samuel Cunliffe Lister for her but can see no connection, She has a booklet/program on coronation of George V-1911 in a box of snippets sent from UK 15years ago.That could be a souvenir although I noted in reading about Lister Mill on i/net that the mill supplied 1000 yards of velvet for that event-co-incidence probably . I have written a brief speil for her on the changing nature of the England in the 18th, 19th and early 20th century to give her a canvas on which to place her family. Cheers and thank you to all for assistance so far, Hyjean

Offline Finscar08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 October 18 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am interested in the above family
Emily had a child named Wallace before her Marriage in 1929 who died in ww2
Do you have any further information on Wallace dob etc?

Your friend who was born in Wakefield her grandparents named Emily Lister and Reginald Charles Slater
Who are your friends parents?

Regards
Meg